Amateur first outside shots

MemoryMemory Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 29, 2008 in Holy Macro
I took some photos this morning outside. This is my first attempt. Nothing special and I would appreciate some input on how I could improve or just general impressions.

321715936_cP3Pr-L.jpg

321716276_H2wdr-L.jpg

321716368_oVrDt-L.jpg

321716418_qpAN9-L.jpg

Thanks,

memorytrap.com
memorytrap.smugmug.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Welcome to the forum.
    LOvely series esp for first go- esp like the lilly in #1.

You need to be careful with macro shots - especially flowers of what is in the background. For example #1 is slightly spoilt by the oof stem on the left but you could easuily clone that out.
    Shots with both bugs and a flower are difficult- you need to make sure what is the primary subject and compose the shot primarily for that, so in #3 the pic is composed better for the flower than it is for the snail , the latter is too centred. Always try to give bugs more room in the direction they are looking.

Brian V.
  • MemoryMemory Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Welcome to the forum.
    LOvely series esp for first go- esp like the lilly in #1.

You need to be careful with macro shots - especially flowers of what is in the background. For example #1 is slightly spoilt by the oof stem on the left but you could easuily clone that out.
    Shots with both bugs and a flower are difficult- you need to make sure what is the primary subject and compose the shot primarily for that, so in #3 the pic is composed better for the flower than it is for the snail , the latter is too centred. Always try to give bugs more room in the direction they are looking.

Brian V.

Thank you for the response. I go back and look at my shots after reading your comment and I see everything that you are talking about. The suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I browsed your collection and your work is amazing and inspiring. This is my first round of macros and it really encourages me that you think there may be some potential.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Memory wrote:
    I took some photos this morning outside. This is my first attempt. Nothing special and I would appreciate some input on how I could improve or just general impressions.

Thanks,

memorytrap.com
    memorytrap.smugmug.com

Hi there Memory, I see our Resident Macro Guru Brian has given you some very useful tips already clap.gif

Don't forget to check out the link to many of Brians wonderful tutorials,
    he is truly a master at Macro Photography and we are very very pleased to have him on board.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50752

Considering your just starting out with Macro I can already see that you are way on the RIGHT track ... thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 29, 2008
    Welcome Memory, day lily shot best, could do with lightening a touch with curves or levels & as brian commented clone out the stem on left in background.
    keep on shooting and posting,
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/