Any clue what this little guy is?

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited July 2, 2008 in Wildlife
Found him by accident in our Mango tree earlier today. He or she has just been sitting there not moving for anything.

322218315_dyrSL-L.jpg

My wife thought maybe it's a kestral but we are not sure, any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Comments

• darrell-fdarrell-f Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Whip-poor-will
    I pretty sure that's a whip-poor-will. You don't see them often because its nocturnal, but I bet you've heard them many times.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Yes that's whipporwill (aka southern nightingale). That's normal daytime behavior for them. If you move slow and quiet you can walk right up to them and pick them up (not recommended).
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2008
    Thanks guys, had no idea he was even there. We were actually looking for a mockingbird that had flew into the tree and stumbled upon him by accident. As of 8:30 PM tonight he was still there. As for this

If you move slow and quiet you can walk right up to them and pick them up (not recommended).

The thought had crossed my mind but he is about 20 feet up and on some branches I'm afraid won't hold the 220 pounds that I carry. I guess I'd better start that diet I've been putting off........

Thanks again.

Joe
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Nice Capture! thumb.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member