Kiss from my Daughter

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited April 17, 2005 in People
My daughter loves to perform, so she's a great model.
I took this shot last night using natural light from her right with a trusty foamcore sheet to her left.
Since I relegated my D70 to being a backup it doesn't get much use, but my 85mm f1.8 lens was on it already, my favorite for portraits.
What do ya'll think of the photo? I usually prefer the colours from my D2H for portraits, but I like this shot. It was taken at f1.8, hence the shallow depth of field. Made a nice print to frame.
Is there anything I could do to enhance it further? I did try reducing the exposure slightly, but it didn't seem to work quite as well - to me anyway.

19774874-L.jpg

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    great shot, i love the face.

i think i would fix the eyes: make them lighter, add more contrast, and possibly sharper. . .
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    With binghott on this. I really like the picture but the focus seems to be on the nose and top lip and not the eyes which I think, this is an opinion, should be the main focus of any focus- gateway to the soul and all such things. But that's a choice because the actions seems to call for more attention to the areas you have in focus. Besides that its a great photo. Nice.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Thanks guys - good advice.
    In this version, I've softened the lips and nose slightly and lightened and sharpened the eyes. Only changed a small amount, but it does make a difference to the overall picture.

19803680-L.jpg
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    I like your redo. Maybe you can even try sharpening both the eyes and the lips? See what that looks like. Nice job.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    I think it's a charming picture, well-lit and well-composed but her left (our right) eye is a little oof due to the depth of field, and you won't really be able to fix that. All blurring the lips does is draw my attention to the oof eye.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    I like it the way you shot it thumb.gif
    Leave it alone and blow her kiss back mwink.gif:D
    Nice work thumb.gif
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    Thank you all for the comments. This is a picture I could probably fine tune for ever, but I've run out of time at the moment. The main thing is that we have given prints to some family members and everyone loves it.

Of course, when the next raw converter comes along, I'll just have to try again and see what I can do :D