First real attempt @ insects...questions

hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited June 30, 2008 in Holy Macro
So, I finally had a chance to give shooting insects a real go. While I feel good with what I got, there is something bothering me about them. So, I have some questions at the bottom.

All these are shot with a Nikon D300, 105mm VR, and an SB-800 on top of the camera with the diffuser that comes with it.

f/8, 1/45 sec., iso 200, Probably -1 flash EV
322145061_wmpkq-L-LB.jpg

f/8, 1/180 sec, iso 200, probably flash -1 EV
322145168_SoQ33-L-LB.jpg

322145333_sWE94-L-LB.jpg

322145253_VVYin-L-LB.jpg

My shutter speed is too low and the aperture I used is too large. However, the light started to seem unnatural as I got into the higher shutter speeds and smaller apertures. I've gone ahead and made LordV's coke can diffuser but, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

1. At 1:1, how close do I need the flash to the subject?
2. How can I get better detail in the eyes?
3. Will a coke can diffuser give me better light than the stock diffuser?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
322145061_wmpkq#322145061_wmpkq-L-LB

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Not bad for first try :)

Were you shooting with the camera in Manual mode ?

1. At 1:1, how close do I need the flash to the subject?
    The closer the flash head/diffuser is to the end of the lens the better. You get better light and shorter flash durations assuming you are using ttl on the flash.

2. How can I get better detail in the eyes? Make sure you are using MF and focus on the eye, you need to be at minimum focus distance (ie max magnification). Do not use apertures smaller than F11. For many insects you will not start getting good eye detail unti you are shooting at 1.5:1 higher (using extension tubes).

3. Will a coke can diffuser give me better light than the stock diffuser?
    Obviously I thought it did otherwise I wouldn't use it. I assume by the stock diffuser you mean the wide angle disperser that pulls out from the front of the flash ? But I only tested the diffuser on a bracket mounted flash so the diffuser head was near the end of the lens.

Overall much of macro shooting is practice and learning - trying different things and seeing what works for you. Initially the most important thing is being able to use MF and getting the focus where you want it.

Brian V.
  • hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Thanks Brian
    Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful and it affirmed some gut feelings I gathered from research.

I had figured that good eye detail comes with higher magnification. If I look close enough there is detail.

I do shoot in manual mode and I've got the lens focused to 1:1. I know I am losing some clarity with the chosen apertures and shutter speeds. I think I've got a better handle on the lighting situation. I have a flash cord so I am going to try hold the flash closer with the diffuser I made. All that's left is putting it all together. Then , of course, more magnification.:D