Options

Deathcheater's Spring of 2008 Ireland Tour

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in Journeys
Well, as promised, let me share my second anniversary trip. As a way to celebrate still being alive two years after treatments ended I thought about taking two weeks and riding the motorcycle, which is a story in itself that I will save for another time, from my homebase in Northern Virginia to Key West Florida. After some research I found out that there really aren't any beaches in Key West. And, since this is where I spend just about all of my time when I'm near the ocean I figured there wouldn't be much left to do but drink all week. With that in mind I figured if you're going to drink all week anyways what better place to do it than in a foreign country. I have always wanted to visit Ireland and not really needing an excuse I set up my hotel rooms for the week, flew to Dublin, rented a car, grabbed a road map, and headed out to spend a week following the end of my nose.

After driving and flying all day and all night, and then driving some more the next morning, I had reached Kilmore Quay and stopped for breakfast.
306024863_iCtU9-M-1.jpg

The church was set on the highest point.
306024982_saWhv-M-1.jpg

I guess this would be the quay ...
306024536_n7Uic-M-1.jpg

... and some of the tools of the trade.
306024689_Goxt4-M-1.jpg

With a few in need of repair.
306045927_nDL4p-M.jpg

Well, on to Waterford. Seems they had just about anything that you might want.
306025118_XvZeu-M-1.jpg

Not sure why someone would want to build a brick wall in a wall of rock, but go figure.
306025295_Z5BTU-M-1.jpg

Seems any town of substantial size had a town center and that was the place to be.
306025502_2Jzjn-M-1.jpg

After one night in Waterford it was time to move on to Killarney. As I was crossing a bridge in Lismore, and realized that I wasn't going to scrape the sides, I looked up in time to catch a glimpse of something that I had to go back and get a better look at.
306025682_6PubK-M-1.jpg

Definitely worth finding a place to park and walking back. (Lismore Castle)
306025825_qCNWg-M-1.jpg

So I decided to explore the town and came across the Castle Gardens as well.
306026017_NoYHN-M-1.jpg

Turns out that it was a nice little park where people picnicked.
306026240_jgATZ-M-1.jpg

About a 10 minute walk from my hotel was Killarney City Center.
306027942_oiToP-M-1.jpg

If you want to get more than 5 or 6 channels on the Telly you have to have a dish.
306026942_gDMXk-M-1.jpg

Checking out the back alleys was probably not always the smartest thing to do, but that's where I usually found the more interesting sights.
306027150_LSW7u-M-1.jpg

Not sure what the name of these flowers is but they seemed to easily get a foothold on just about every wall in Ireland.
306027664_ADmBd-M-1.jpg

I did get to go to the beach after all! The beach on Dingle Bay. (Inch Point on the map.)
306028170_5nVnz-M-1.jpg

Looking down the north coast of Dingle Bay toward Dingle.
306028321_oHCzv-M-1.jpg

When they put out a "Men At Work" sign you had to be real careful not to come around a corner and plow into a work crew. I think only tourist actually slowed down though.
306028493_HdanG-M-1.jpg

Came around a corner and saw this one looking for lunch. I could have spent months just shooting creeks and streams if I had had the time.
306028839_25oLZ-M-1.jpg

Almost there now.
306029059_EaLrE-M-1.jpg

I did notice that the Irish do tend to paint their boats with bright colors...
306029243_H5Chb-M-1.jpg

...and their houses as well
306029619_XiFE6-M-1.jpg

Never did find out what this was across the harbor from town, but from this distance it looked like it might be an old watch tower.
306029425_EKKdR-M-1.jpg

Another one of the traffic hazards were the tractors.
306029926_NbG7S-M-1.jpg

One of the main roads in Dingle.
306030099_7WsnN-M-1.jpg

Again, walking down one of the side streets I came across this place in the middle of town.
306030337_u5Kkd-M-1.jpg

On my day traveling to Galway I decided to take the ferry across the River Shannon. Wasn't sure that I still wanted to when I got to the dock.
306030536_9mTbB-M-1.jpg

She looked steady enough on the way in so I stuck to my original plan.
306030645_Frpxf-M-1.jpg

On the way across we passed Tarbert Lighthouse – Built 1831/32
306030923_5n284-M-1.jpg

One more traffic hazard while on the back roads. If I had not purposely stayed off of the main highways I would never have seen this. You can't properly see a country with it racing by at 100 kph.
306031167_ghJ6d-M-1.jpg

I think that I enjoyed Galway the most of the different places that I stayed.
306031294_G6MAu-M-1.jpg

It is where I found my favorite pub.
306031532_9Mqhv-M-3.jpg

Every evening about 5:30 traditional musicians would show up and play. Usually a different group of players each night.
306031731_aVnxN-M-1.jpg

Headed to the Cliffs of Moher on Wednesday I ran across yet another "castle". (Dunguaire Castle)
306031925_u67Gz-M-1.jpg

I kept chuckling as I walked around it because all I could think of was "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". I was waiting for some French guy to start taunting me. (Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!)
306032309_3usEJ-M-1.jpg

Looking across at the town of Kinvarra from the castle.
306032064_qMUH5-M-1.jpg

Another one of the traffic hazards. Tour bus and lorry carrying a bulldozer meet and can't get past each other without unloading the bulldozer.
306032515_V4drH-M-1.jpg

Does anyone get upset about it? Here in the States, probably. In Ireland you either turn around and find another route or you get out and socialize while things get taken care of. I prefer the Irish way.
306032659_56Di4-M-1.jpg

At first, the Cliffs Of Moher just looked like more rolling hills.
306032863_vUZr9-M-1.jpg

But once I got closer I saw that the hills abruptly ended.
306035277_zf5cw-M-1.jpg

So I walked to the top and started looking around.
306034103_VxMD7-M-1.jpg

To put it mildly, the views were incredible.
306033244_VnwDT-M-1.jpg

On one side there were the nesting grounds.
306033749_KsTup-M-1.jpg

Then on the other side, were the cliffs that you see in pictures of Ireland.
306034459_RGTUZ-M-1.jpg

It was a hazy day but still impressive enough to make you go "Wow".
306034642_j8Qni-M-1.jpg

It seems that no matter what language it is written in, people just can't read. Or at least choose not to.
306035054_xUaGo-M-1.jpg

Standing on the cliffs and looking back through the hills you could see the town of Liscannor.
306033077_LhhzV-M-1.jpg

I was lucky to visit in springtime because everything was in bloom.
306034284_fbPhH-M-1.jpg

Of course as at any major tourist spot there were people serenading the crowds.
306034876_r3jQj-M-1.jpg

On the way back from the cliffs I stopped and had lunch in a place called Sgt. Pepper's in Ennistimon. Must have been a slow day.
306035648_JHmaL-M-1.jpg

The weather cleared enough to where you could really take in the Burren. From a distance the hills look bare but are actually covered with low growth.
306035467_tbPBv-M-1.jpg

And finally Dublin. I started at City Center with the Millennium Spire.
306035825_DZegX-M-1.jpg

Then worked my way south across the River Liffey.
306036082_82AjX-M-1.jpg

Past the Ha'penny Bridge.
306036357_dDPWL-M-1.jpg

Through the Farmer's Market.
306036636_pHYKy-M-1.jpg

Across the Grand Canal...
306036879_H8VUF-M-1.jpg

...and the one that thought they owned the canal.
306037068_yVX6p-M-1.jpg

Last stop was Church of the Scared Heart in Donnybrook.
306037342_iH6UN-M-1.jpg

I wasn't really done seeing Ireland but couldn't wait to get home. It had been a long week. Turned out to be one the best experiences of my life. I'm looking foward to doing it the same way in another place next year for my third anniversary.

Thanks for coming along with me while I revisited the places I had seen.
— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    all red x's Kev... ne_nau.gif
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Kev...turn your sharing on in Smugmug. No-one can see your photos.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    all red x's Kev... ne_nau.gif

That's wierd. They were there last night and when I went to the gallery this morning the "Share Photos" was checked. If you still can't see them a guess I'll redo the thread from scratch.

"Sorry about that Chief, missed it by that much."

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I really wanted to see more photos of Ireland!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    Went back a found ANOTHER "Share Photos" that was not checked. If that doesn't do it...

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    People went past that barrier at the cliffs? What happened to the rangers? I got caught, with a bunch of other people, trying to cross and was sent back to the regular viewing area!!

You drove in Ireland?? Wow!! I think I want to do that when i go back! How much was it?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    People went past that barrier at the cliffs? What happened to the rangers? I got caught, with a bunch of other people, trying to cross and was sent back to the regular viewing area!!

You drove in Ireland?? Wow!! I think I want to do that when i go back! How much was it?

There weren't any Rangers in site and you know the saying "When the cat's away...".

Driving was half of the adventure that week. I got used to it after about a day and half though. Rental price was not too bad. About $150-175 for six days. Gas was killer at $9-10/gallon after conversion and depending on the exchange rate. Coming back here and paying $4/gallon doesn't seem so bad.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    They are working now. Beautiful country. I agree on the driving. The last time in the UK it wasn't so bad. Gas was only around $7 a gallon when we were there in '04 so it doesn't seem so bad here! Of course the car we drove over there got around 50 MPG.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    KevXman wrote:

She looked steady enough on the way in so I stuck to my original plan.
    306030645_Frpxf-M-1.jpg

Wow!!!

I look forward to your trips every year from now on Kevin.

This trip has some wonderfl meaning for me as well. My wife and I traveled to Ireland in the fall of 2003. We were there for 8 days I think. We had a package that included a rental car and coupons for B&B's. We drove wherever we wanted and only saw 1/4 of the places we planned to but had the best time. We took a ton of photos as well (all film unfortunately).

The best part for and the resaon I remember that trip every day...

A few weeks before we left we found out that we were expecting. My wife got morning sick (nausa mostly) every day up until the day we left for the airport. The first trimester ended on that day and the timing was perfect. While driving around Ireland (to many of the same places as you) we of course discussed our baby and potential names.

While sitting and waiting for the ferry (yes that same ferry), I suggested if it was a girl we should call her Shannon Clare (Shannon for the river and Clare for the county we were crossing into). It stuck and now every time I call my daughter (especially when she is in trouble and get the whole name) it reminds me a little bit of that trip.

Thank you for sharing and sorry I had to share as well.

Thad
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2008
    TPBinKC wrote:
    Wow!!!

I look forward to your trips every year from now on Kevin.

This trip has some wonderfl meaning for me as well. My wife and I traveled to Ireland in the fall of 2003. We were there for 8 days I think. We had a package that included a rental car and coupons for B&B's. We drove wherever we wanted and only saw 1/4 of the places we planned to but had the best time. We took a ton of photos as well (all film unfortunately).

The best part for and the resaon I remember that trip every day...

A few weeks before we left we found out that we were expecting. My wife got morning sick (nausa mostly) every day up until the day we left for the airport. The first trimester ended on that day and the timing was perfect. While driving around Ireland (to many of the same places as you) we of course discussed our baby and potential names.

While sitting and waiting for the ferry (yes that same ferry), I suggested if it was a girl we should call her Shannon Clare (Shannon for the river and Clare for the county we were crossing into). It stuck and now every time I call my daughter (especially when she is in trouble and get the whole name) it reminds me a little bit of that trip.

Thank you for sharing and sorry I had to share as well.

Thad

No need to apologize. I had a grin on my face the whole time that I was there and still catch myself smiling when ever I go back through the pictures.

— Kevin

My Site, My Book