Options

cable shutter release

jday3jday3 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 4, 2008 in Technique
when doing a long exposure, i've been using my self timer rather than a cable release shutter. Won't this work just as well as a cable release shutter?

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    jday3 wrote:
    when doing a long exposure, i've been using my self timer rather than a cable release shutter. Won't this work just as well as a cable release shutter?

That works just fine except you have a couple or 10-second delay, but with a long exposure the delay is a non issue.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Hi jday and welcome! wave.gif

I'm moving this into Technique where folks will be able to see your question
    better. :)
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    That's what I do right now because I'm too cheap to buy a cable release. However, If you're using a Canon, you won't be able to shoot in bulb using this technique, which is why I'm really considering getting a cable release.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    It works as long as your subject matter isn't moving... otherwise in 2 seconds, the picture could be different.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Once you try a remote release you will wonder how in gods name you operated without it. Seriously ...they are on ebay for under $30.
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Once you try a remote release you will wonder how in gods name you operated without it. Seriously ...they are on ebay for under $30.

I believe it, but I always wind up spending or saving money for something else.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I think the RS-80N3 does do bulb exposures for the XXD's...
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Lots of folks swear by the chinese made knock-offs. this is a store a Dgrinner recommended, and they seem reliable so far:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8257

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.canon%20shutter

check it out
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    gus wrote:

Since I got my wireless release it has been fantastic.....OH FREEDOM......the only time I am not useing it is when I am hand wolding the camera.....I am trying to figure out how to attach it to my flash bracket so I can get back to shooting as I did with fil cams and cable releases on the bracket....now that would be SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

I want to thank GUS for his recomendation on the inexpensive wireless shutter release also.........the reseller on ebay for the USA is AQUALUNA here is alink to their offerings (wireless remore shutter releases) right now ....... CLIK HERE

Unfortunately it seems that popularity has driven the price up......I paid 23.5 for mine plus 7.5 s/h.....so total $31........starting bids for canon / Nikon models are up to $44.5.......but still a good buy
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    jday3 wrote:
    Unless I'm mistaken, there's one significant advantage of using a cable over the timer. You are unable to use Mirror Lock Up (MLU) with the timer. With the release cable, you click the button twice, once to raise the mirror and the second time to trip the shutter.

OK, so what's so significant about that? Well, if you are shooting with a long lens, ANY camera shake translates into blurred images. Sometimes the mirror slap is enough to cause problems. So, the MLU function is used to swing the raise the mirror. Then you wait for things to settle down before you trip the shutter.

And, like Gus says, once you've used a cable release, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it and you'll never go back to using just the timer if you can help it.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Art said it. The price of wireless releases are now comparable to cable releases. A wireless is much more versatile (I have both). Just one example - you need to shoot your big ole digital calibration target and don't have an assistant to go stand twenty feet away and hold it at just the right angle. Cable release won't cut it but a wireless release works just dandy.

Oh heck, here's another. Group shots with the photog in the group. Self timer is a PITA. With the wireless release, you can take several shots, and maybe (just maybe) you'll get one where everyone in the group looks good.

I never use my cable release any more.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I bought the Gadget Infinity remote, works great $29+s&h.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16745&cat=0&page=
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Get one i absolutly enjoy using it !!
    You will be happy with that i got from ebay for my 400D for Rs 1100 that are 16$ its orignal canon and brand new
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    jday3jday3 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2008
    cable shutter release question
    thanks for your comments on my cable release question. Now I'm toying with the idea of a cable shutter release (with cable attached) vs. a remote shutter release. In some respects, it looks like the remote cable release would be a pain.....batteries, and more equipment to keep up with, etc. Any thoughts on this.

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    jday3 wrote:
    thanks for your comments on my cable release question. Now I'm toying with the idea of a cable shutter release (with cable attached) vs. a remote shutter release. In some respects, it looks like the remote cable release would be a pain.....batteries, and more equipment to keep up with, etc. Any thoughts on this.

headscratch.gif
    The batteries that come with the elcheapo ebay remote have done several thousand photos for me & are still going strong. Something that does so much & costs so little does not even come into play for me in the camera world.

I also have a cable attached remote which is now dead as the cable cracked open near where it plugs into the camera. Its a no brainer for me....a solid 2-300 foot operation for $30.
  • Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Anyone know if that Gadget Infinity Remote will work the Mirror Lock Up? I'm assumming it does.

i.e. on my cable release I 1/2 press to focus, full press to slap up the mirror (with the correct C Fn. # set) and then press again to trip the shutter.

Thanks.