Options

Did she kill her drive?

Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
edited June 30, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
My wife (that's my story and I'm stickin' tuit) accidently plugged her Toshiba laptop power supply, 19v, into her WD external hd, 12v. The power light on the drive started flashing off and on. Now, with the correct power supply, it is still flashing. It won't turn off, or on, and the computer cannot see it. The drive was working fine last night. Did the 19v kill it, or any ideas? I can't find any kind of reset button on the drive.
You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    My wife (that's my story and I'm stickin' tuit) accidently plugged her Toshiba laptop power supply, 19v, into her WD external hd, 12v. The power light on the drive started flashing off and on. Now, with the correct power supply, it is still flashing. It won't turn off, or on, and the computer cannot see it. The drive was working fine last night. Did the 19v kill it, or any ideas? I can't find any kind of reset button on the drive.

She may have fried the power board on the drive. The physical drive should be fine though. You'll probably need to take it to a local repair shop where they can remove the drive and put all the data on a new drive, or send it in to WD to get it repaired.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    Thanks, Lisa. Since that would kill the warranty, wouldn't I be just as well off to pull the drive out and put it in my desktop?
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    Thanks, Lisa. Since that would kill the warranty, wouldn't I be just as well off to pull the drive out and put it in my desktop?

You could if you are sure you can do that without damaging the drive - Who knows if they set that drive up so that it can't be removed/used by a consumer. Have you tried tech support with WD to find out? They might just tell you over the phone how/if you can safely removed the drive from the enclosure.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    I haven't talked to them, but on their site, they say it can be done, but voids any warranty. I guess I should give them a call, though. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2008
    I took the drive out and put in one of our other usb enclosures. Yep, it let the smoke out when I plugged it in. Seems like someone around here is not too happy with me, right about now. Maybe I better stick to burning up my own stuff. Know what I mean, Vern?