Ship and Lighthouse

OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in Landscapes
While on a 6 mile walk around the Isle of Bute with our dog training school, someone pointed out a passing ship to me.. and I ran like a man possessed to get this shot.

322852071_SovYd-M.jpg

A wee while later in PS, and the image is how I imagined it should look.
322840804_aKrx2-L-1.jpg

C&C welcome.

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    While on a 6 mile walk around the Isle of Bute with our dog training school, someone pointed out a passing ship to me.. and I ran like a man possessed to get this shot.

A wee while later in PS, and the image is how I imagined it should look.

C&C welcome.

I like the image (the second one) a lot- I do think it still lacks the pop. If you just adjust it a bit more in PS (curves/ levels) I think it can look really good...

The composition is great... well done... (if you do decide to play with curves/ levels in PS, then do post the processed image- I would love to see it).

Cheers,
  • ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    shniks wrote:

The composition is great... well done... (if you do decide to play with curves/ levels in PS, then do post the processed image- I would love to see it).

Interesting. I see just the opposite. I love what you did with PS but not so much the composition. It's like the placement is too perfect and not real for some reason. Maybe a different angle would give it more depth but I know you ran to get it and probably didn't have a choice of angle. :D
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I really, really like the second and what you did in PP. To me this scene is totally surreal and is like a still life, but in real life. The dark, dramatic bg and edges really bring that sense of otherworldliness that is just set off with the pop of the boat and the lighthouse.

Really excellent! It reminds me of Maggie Taylor, in a way.
  • Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I really like this. My only C&C, just cause ya' asked for some, would be to lighten up the foreground a notch or two to give the photo a little more depth/dimension. But... if you didn't ask I just would have dug this image for what it is and kept my "fingers" shut.

Well done. Hope you print this and get it on a wall... soon.
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I really, really like the second and what you did in PP. To me this scene is totally surreal and is like a still life, but in real life. The dark, dramatic bg and edges really bring that sense of otherworldliness that is just set off with the pop of the boat and the lighthouse.

I like the shot, would prefer something between 1 and 2. In #2, the foreground vanishes and I think the overall feel is too dark and dirty (the lighthouse). Now that people have weighed in with preferences for image 1, image 2, and image "1.5" we have once again shown that you can't please all the people all the time.
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    AFBlue wrote:
    I like the shot, would prefer something between 1 and 2. In #2, the foreground vanishes and I think the overall feel is too dark and dirty (the lighthouse). Now that people have weighed in with preferences for image 1, image 2, and image "1.5" we have once again shown that you can't please all the people all the time.

Aint that the truth! Lots of differing takes on it. mwink.gif If anything, I want to make it darker.. maybe even add a figure to the lighthouse, looking out to the ship. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Schmoo, thanks for the link.. very interesting images.