Backside Printing

lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
edited February 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Let me first say thanks for the newstuff. I for one appreciate all you're doing to enhance the service for pros.

I didn't post to the thread (...do you use the printing service...) because all of the rants by the one guy rattled and distracted me.

I would use the printing service more except for just-one-thing: I am skittish about selling my images direct to the end-user without a copyright statement/contact info AND the filename on it!

I put archival image stickers on prints sent to me that just say "© 2005 Lynne Glazer, anyone@lynnesite.com, Image _____"

How hard would it be to implement this feature? It would be across all of my print-enabled galleries, not specific otherwise. Customers need to be able to access this information sometimes years later, when their beloved horse dies or when they need a photo for a magazine, etc.

TIA,
Lynne

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    I second this great suggestion. That's the little bit missing in SM's great printing service. :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    I'll third it..
    As I did before on the same subject.
    Not that I think my vote makes a whole lot of differencene_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • K.VanK.Van Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Let me first say thanks for the newstuff. I for one appreciate all you're doing to enhance the service for pros.

I didn't post to the thread (...do you use the printing service...) because all of the rants by the one guy rattled and distracted me.

I would use the printing service more except for just-one-thing: I am skittish about selling my images direct to the end-user without a copyright statement/contact info AND the filename on it!

I put archival image stickers on prints sent to me that just say "© 2005 Lynne Glazer, anyone@lynnesite.com, Image _____"

How hard would it be to implement this feature? It would be across all of my print-enabled galleries, not specific otherwise. Customers need to be able to access this information sometimes years later, when their beloved horse dies or when they need a photo for a magazine, etc.

TIA,
    Lynne

So! It's not just me!

It appears that the Backprinting issue rears it's ugly head again. This is something that is near and dear to my heart as I believe it should be to every photographer.

It was stated at one point that Smugmug believed, based on feedback/requests that this was only important to a few folks.

Perhaps if all of the people who wanted backprinting simply replied with a "Yes" we could get a feel for how many folks would like this feature.

K.Van

P.S. Nikolai, you ALWAYS count!
    edited April 18, 2005
    Keith,
    K.Van wrote:
    Nikolai, you ALWAYS count!
    :-) Thanks, man!

I'm afraid in this case I really do not. You see, I'm not a top seller. I can be hardly called a seller at all, since this year I didn't sell a single picture (S*E got me pretty busy in other department:-). I plan to catch on it a bit sometime soon, but you never know..

But this issue (as some of the others) bugs me, so I'm trying to do what I can..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I would also love this feature.

I asked about it before, the reply I got was something about the printer doesnt offer this service so smugmug cant.

This would also protect the photographer from potential clients from taking thier prints to walmart or somewhere and have them make reprints of it. If someone at walmart or what have you seen the contact info on the back, they would probably give the photographer a call to get permission and then you would find out what your clients are up to.

I would also like to see metalic paper added to the list, but thats another thread, hehe.
  • winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I don't need this feature right now, but, if all goes well, I will need it soon. Count me in!

-winn
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    I would also love this feature to have my information on the photo!
    GerryDavid wrote:

This would also protect the photographer from potential clients from taking thier prints to walmart or somewhere and have them make reprints of it. If someone at walmart or what have you seen the contact info on the back, they would probably give the photographer a call to get permission and then you would find out what your clients are up to.
    This would NOT stop Walmart or anyone else from copying your photos. Nothing will because the employess 1-don't look, 2-don't know about the laws and 3-don't care! You are talking about kids making 6 bucks an hour here. If they actually do say no, the customer will just take it somewhere else that will.
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 20, 2005
    I just got a note from EZ Prints about what's possible and the restrictions.

They make line two on the back available for prints up to 10" (those are the ones printed on the Fuji Frontiers). There's a 40-character restriction.

It looks like line 1 is taken by EZ Prints coded stuff so they can identify order number, date printed, etc.
    edited April 20, 2005
    I'd say - "deinitely better than nothing"
    Baldy wrote:

They make line two on the back available for prints up to 10" (those are the ones printed on the Fuji Frontiers). There's a 40-character restriction.

It looks like line 1 is taken by EZ Prints coded stuff so they can identify order number, date printed, etc.
    I don't know what is the SM statistics on the print orders by sizes, but it looks like a vast majority of 4x6s and 8x10s will be covered :-)

How can we help to do this?
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

That's enough for the website at least...good enough for me!
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

How will this be implemented. Set up some type of standard note through the category page?

I think it's a GREAT idea. Let's honest people know they shouldn't copy if you put a copyright statement on the back. My wife actually heard people bragging about how they were stealing my work off the web without having to pay for the prints:bash :beatwax . For these people, the statement will mean nothing.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

It'd be a squeeze but I'd sure love it! Thanks for finding out. Will they do a blanket copyright statement like the Fuji papers have at competing services on 8x10 and above?

©Lynne Glazer,www.lynnesite.com ID:12345
  • Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    Backprinting - Update?
    Hello all,

I'm new to Smugmug pro accounts and I believe this is going to work very well for my business. I ran some test prints and was surprised that my filename and/or website wasn't printed on the back of my prints. More than that, I was surprised there wasn't at least a © 2005 or something on it.

Has any progress been made on this? I know having that on the back doesn't really prevent others from making copies, but it will discourage many.

Please advise when you get a moment and thank you for the consideration on this pro topic.

Fred
  • tweakertweaker Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Another vote here for back printing.
    -Paul
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 6, 2006
    backside printing.... ouch lol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    Count me as a "Yes Please"
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    backside printing.... ouch lol3.gif

lol3.gif Yeah - we prefer to call it "Backprinting"

thumb.gif
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    One more vote...for backprinting, that is. rolleyes1.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Backprinting = yes
    Please count me in for backprinting
  • Crystal Clear PhotographyCrystal Clear Photography Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    i would love to see backprinting as an option too :)
    :rofl
    ~Crystal
    www.crystalclearphotos.com
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away"
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Backprinting good.

You know you wanna do it, common it's just a little backprinting, I mean it's not like it's bad for you or anything. We won't tell.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    You know you wanna do it, common it's just a little backprinting, I mean it's not like it's bad for you or anything. We won't tell.
    Uhhh, taken out of context, this could sound really bad. rolleyes1.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    another vote for backprinting here!

thumb.gif

j
  • RickKruerRickKruer Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2006
    another vote for backprinting
    please count me in for backprinting!
    thumb.gif
  • ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    I want back printing.

When I do my own print stuff I use COSTCO and they allow back printing.
    Not only that but my 4x6 prints are only 19 cents.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
    edited February 9, 2006
    I want back printing.

When I do my own print stuff I use COSTCO and they allow back printing.
    Not only that but my 4x6 prints are only 19 cents.

Yes, they are 19c and we are 25c. I wonder if Costco helps you with website design or free professional color correction?
    edited February 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, they are 19c and we are 25c. I wonder if Costco helps you with website design or free professional color correction?

Andy,

Please don't confuse Smugmug CS vs Printing since Smugmug does not do printing onsite. I love Smugmug CS thats not the issue.

I shoot raw, and calbrate my monitor. I have been using Costco for my wedding print needs for over a year. I use the same store, and the Lab guy know me, and the work I do.

Bottom line is, not only am I saving money per print, I'm not paying shipping charges and I get back printing so I have a copyright on my images. BTW I need to make a correction, Costco 4x6 prints are .17 cents
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
    edited February 9, 2006
    Andy,

Please don't confuse Smugmug CS vs Printing since Smugmug does not do printing onsite. I love Smugmug CS thats not the issue.

I'm not confusing anything :D Many folks don't want to do the driving, waiting, ordering, going back, packaging, deliving, shipping etc.

Choice is good!
    edited February 9, 2006
    Direct Member Prices EZ Prints
    Andy

The arguement is Backside printing, and all I stated is a source that does it, if people were looking for one.

BTW direct ez print price is a 4x6 Glossy Printsspace.gif$0.19
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

edited February 9, 2006
    Andy

The arguement is Backside printing, and all I stated is a source that does it, if people were looking for one.

BTW direct ez print price is a 4x6 Glossy Printsspace.gif$0.19

Yes, we know, and I'm not arguing with you, I'm saying choice is good :D