Sun flares, exposure and my reflector for CC

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in People
The color is probably off in the very last one.
1 323169090_K7zEY-L.jpg
2 323168520_Msjqo-L.jpg
3 323165386_dtXhu-L.jpg
4 323166532_hmnLJ-L.jpg
5 323169145_ZRyCa-L.jpg

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Hi there.

I am not a big fan of sunset photos, but I'll give it a try mwink.gif

I the sun is too far down in #1 (and she looks too flashed), I think it looks better in the 2nd shot.

#3 has a bit of a blue cast

#4 I actually really love this one. Not sue if it's a sun beam going across the photo. it's a bit too distracting (just because you can't tell what it is) ... so I think I would take it out (by darkening some of the areas) .... other than that thumb.gif

#5 is very cute iloveyou.gif Try to get a plain background though (no wrinkles)
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    good stuff! I noticed she has the same pose for all the photos.. i woulda loved to see the other angle.. I like the hairlight specially on the 3rd photo

and the last photo, well it's just too cute to comment on :)
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    hey julie, u a member of nilmdts?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 1, 2008
    I rather like these, especially the first two.thumb.gif

I agree that the flash could be dialed back maybe 1/2 stop in the first image - and I might have added a touch more exposure to the ambient lighting ( slightly longer shutter speed if shot in manual mode ), but I like the warm tones and the direct gaze in the first image. I might have favored a portrait orientation to the image. But I like it overall.

The second image has a nice exposure for the subject. I might have dialed back the background 1/2 stop. I like the calm, reflective gaze of the subject, and the lovely warm skin tones are very nice.

The third shot is blue, and just a little green as well.eek7.gif The white ( I assume it is white) strap reads -4 in the a channel and - 29 in the b channel in LAB. That is slightly green and very blue. For White, both values should be equal and near zero in LAB.

The fourth image I do not favor as well. But I am not a great fan of many high key images, so maybe that is my problem. I think there is too much flare and it interferes with seeing the subject clearly, and the the strap reads slightly green and very blue again, even though the image is less saturated here,

The fifth image has pretty good skin tones, but the background sheet reads blue again. I think my biggest concern is that I strongly prefer to see kids photographed from THEIR eye level, and strongly reject shots looking down at them from above. That is one of the things I do like about the earlier shots - they were at the kid's eye level or below.

Sorry we missed you at the last meeting
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I rather like these, especially the first two.thumb.gif

I agree that the flash could be dialed back maybe 1/2 stop in the first image - and I might have added a touch more exposure to the ambient lighting ( slightly longer shutter speed if shot in manual mode ), but I like the warm tones and the direct gaze in the first image. I might have favored a portrait orientation to the image. But I like it overall.

The second image has a nice exposure for the subject. I might have dialed back the background 1/2 stop. I like the calm, reflective gaze of the subject, and the lovely warm skin tones are very nice.

The third shot is blue, and just a little green as well.eek7.gif The white ( I assume it is white) strap reads -4 in the a channel and - 29 in the b channel in LAB. That is slightly green and very blue. For White, both values should be equal and near zero in LAB.

The fourth image I do not favor as well. But I am not a great fan of many high key images, so maybe that is my problem. I think there is too much flare and it interferes with seeing the subject clearly, and the the strap reads slightly green and very blue again, even though the image is less saturated here,

The fifth image has pretty good skin tones, but the background sheet reads blue again. I think my biggest concern is that I strongly prefer to see kids photographed from THEIR eye level, and strongly reject shots looking down at them from above. That is one of the things I do like about the earlier shots - they were at the kid's eye level or below.

Sorry we missed you at the last meeting

I hated that I couldn't go....but I was practicing photographing a horse and rider for 4-H job I had. I can't wait for the next one...maybe you can show me more in detail what you are talking about regarding color.

As for emmalie's shot.....I really really need seamless paper and she is very very difficult to photgraph. I'm sure you remember how much she moves....try photographing her in motion. HAHA!!!!

With Brianna's portraits, I really was trying to capture sunflare and trying to use my new foamboard to see if I could reflect golden tones on to her face. I still have some learning to do.

Can't wait until the next meeting. I really had a good time at the first one.