Options

Wallhogs print quality

MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
edited July 1, 2008 in Finishing School
OK, I'm looking for some feedback from people who have printed big with Wallhogs. I'm interested in printing some large panoramas and am checking out my print choices. EZPrint does panos, but only 12" high I believe. I know the quality will be good there. Wallhogs prints really crazy sizes, on all kinds of material.

I'd like to hear back about their print quality on large scale photo paper and their 'colorform' stick to the wall vinyl. How does the photo paper quality compare to EZ-Print (the SmugMug print shop)?

What is the print quality on the vinyl? It is anywhere near photo quality? More cartoonish? What should my expectations be?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    It was good enough for a USA Today article :D

smugx-large.jpg
    (photo: USA Today)

We've since moved to bigger offices (w000p!) and so we need new 'hogs but we had wall hogs on all our office doors at or old office, they were darn cool!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Very cool! How would you compare the print quality if you were to take a vinyl wallhog and place it next to a traditional EZ-Prints quality photo print? Same, close, not close? I would think the vinyl would not be anywhere near as sharp, but would like to hear from someone who has seen them.

Basically, is the vinyl (admittedly a very different animal) a viable alternative, image quality wise, to printing at the same size on photo paper and then framing it up?

My buddy wants a big panorama for his wall of the local mountains and I am pondering different ways to print it. On photo paper and then somehow frame it VS. a wallhog which wouldn't require a frame and could be moved around quite easily.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Apples and oranges, you can't compare a photographic print with a vinyl print. The Wallhogs stuff is very cool, and very good, for what it is. It's not meant to be a fine art print.

Go thee to www.bigposters.com and be done with it deal.gif bad white balance on this snap but the quality of the 6' print is awesome:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/12718508-L.jpg