more motoX photos c&c please I can take it... lol

hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited July 11, 2008 in Sports
I'm really trying to get better at this and sometimes I'm feeling like hanging it up already! I think my angles and timing are decent, but its the lighting and post production that I seem to struggle in. IDK... help!!! I only cropped the first one. did not mess with much.
Hit `em...
DSC_4090-1.jpg
DSC_4091.jpg
DSC_4094.jpg
DSC_3151.jpg
Hindsy's X-treme Photos
http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb

Comments

• 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Ok, you asked for it.mwink.gif

I like the cropping of number one, but the photo is just washed out. Not sharp, low contrast, etc....

Number two and three are too dark. The riders faces are almost black.

Last one, the power lines in the background kill it for me.

I take photos of HS, hill climbs and trials. I usually have all the same critisims of my own work. But I find most riders will buy a photo of themselves, as long as they can tell it's them.:D They are much less critical.

I may shoot 500 photos per session and only really like about 20 of them. I do very little, if any post processing. Just too many photos and the riders get what comes out of the camera. I think this makes you pay a little more attention when taking the photo, versus trying to fix everything when you get home.
  • Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    I agree with 2whlrcr. Maybe throw some fill flash in next time. It helps out a bunch! I would like the last one more if you removed the powerlines and placed the rider on the right side of the shot so he would be jumping into the frame instead of out.
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Number two and three are too dark. The riders faces are almost black.

Get used to that. Not much you can do with tinted lenses and such. Fill flash sometimes works, sometimes not, with the latter more than the former.

Get pshop and just keep tweaking.. you'll get it eventually.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 2, 2008
    Moto-X
    Hindsy, I think they need to be sharper esp. pic 1. I'm not sure which lens you are using (haven't checked the exif data), but overall sharpness needs to be addressed. I think you have the basic idea, and photographing a moving subject is never easy, and with time you will improve; you will find what works and what doesn't. Generally, I use a slightly higher shutter-speed in order to ket things sharp. High-speed flash may help as well, although you'll need a fairly high guide number if using a long zoom. It's always difficult to get the back ground just right, but powerlines don't do anything for a pic. Keep on practicing mate, I love MX, so keep posting...

Sass from Down Under....
  • Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    A Better Beamer flash extender may help you hit the faces. Dark shields aside, an illuminated facial area would help. Got a bit of dust on your sensor, too.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Got a bit of dust on your sensor, too.

I thought those were UFO's?:D
  • hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I thought those were UFO's?:D

Sent it away to get cleaned now.... lol
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
    http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Do Not Throw In The Towel Yet. headscratch.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    Sent off to get cleaned? ne_nau.gif Just use the "clean sensor", open it up and use a blower to get the dust off it.

BTW.. what lens are you using?