GoDaddy Domain Options?

rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited July 7, 2008 in SmugMug Support
So many options when attempting to sign up. What would anyone recommend for someone just starting out who is really only interested in a personal web name? Should I do public or private registration? They try to steer one toward private with talk of unsolicited invitations, spam, etc... What to do - so many choices??? :dunno

Comments

• J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    rfreschner wrote:
    So many options when attempting to sign up. What would anyone recommend for someone just starting out who is really only interested in a personal web name? Should I do public or private registration? They try to steer one toward private with talk of unsolicited invitations, spam, etc... What to do - so many choices??? ne_nau.gif

Rick,

Go private! With godaddy it's only $7 a year and everything is registered through Domains by Proxy. This will help prevent most of the spam and unwanted emails, calls, offers my mail, but obviously it's not fool proof. You can still get spam by way of your email address or other personally identifiable means through which you register your name or business, i.e. city business licenses, county registrar, etc. if any apply.

Good luck!
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    Thanks for the advice John. Are there any other options I should consider? I'm sure I could add things if I ever find a need.
  • J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2008
    rfreschner wrote:
    Thanks for the advice John. Are there any other options I should consider? I'm sure I could add things if I ever find a need.

As far as godaddy goes, I know they offer a bunch of other things that may or may not be useful. I believe with them a basic .com domain name includes at least one email address that is part of their .coms. Honestly I didn't really care to buy any other stuff so I can't comment on those things.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Good luck!
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
    edited July 2, 2008
    Quite all right John. I went for the basic with private registration as you recommended. That's the most I'll need at this time. Thanks for the help!
  • muphamupha Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 3, 2008
    rfreschner wrote:
    So many options when attempting to sign up. What would anyone recommend for someone just starting out who is really only interested in a personal web name? Should I do public or private registration? They try to steer one toward private with talk of unsolicited invitations, spam, etc... What to do - so many choices??? ne_nau.gif
    I know I'm a little late, but as others have said, for personal domains private registration is a good idea. Right now, this is extra, but if you buy 5 or more domains you get private registration for all of them for free. You can ignore most of th rest of what they try and sell you - it's a bit of a pain as they keep pushing more optioins at you.

Godaddy have a bunch of coupon codes around which can save you a bunch. Just do a search on google for something like "godaddy coupon vouchers 2008", or use the one's I use regulrarly - they do not expire and you can use them over and over. Enter:
    MTECH1 to save 10%
    MTECH2 to save 20% on orders over $50

I used MTECH1 a couple of days ago so can assure you it's valid. You just stick them in the shopping cart just before you finish to get the saving.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    After you have your domain up and running, I highly recommend signing up for Google Apps, then you can have a gmail account with you @domain.com alias (up to 100 for the entry level) and won't be limited to just the single one godaddy gives you.
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions folks! I'll definitely look into some of them later on. For now, I've signed up for the single domain private registration, but may add a bit as I go along.