Options

Retrieving images?

christinacraftchristinacraft Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
You'll have to excuse me if this is a dumb question - I'm new to smugmug and I have a professional account. I have been combing through all the help files and tutorials, but can't seem to find any information about how to retrieve the full version of a file I've uploaded. I just want to download the actual original file, not order a print or send it by email to a friend. Does anyone know if this is possible with Smugmug? If so, how?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Three ways
    You'll have to excuse me if this is a dumb question - I'm new to smugmug and I have a professional account. I have been combing through all the help files and tutorials, but can't seem to find any information about how to retrieve the full version of a file I've uploaded. I just want to download the actual original file, not order a print or send it by email to a friend. Does anyone know if this is possible with Smugmug? If so, how?

Thank you in advance!
    1) order a backup
    2) use smugmug exporter
    3) wait a little, I'm gonna add this functionality to S*E some time in May

That is, if you're on Windows. If you're on Mac - you currently have only one option, #1.

There is also a SmugDAV thingie (see hacks section on SM site), it may require some advanced skills, however..

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    hi christina

1) make sure in customize gallery, that "originals" are checked, and that right click is disabled

2) go to image, make size = large

3) right click, save to desktop (pc) or just drag it to your desktop (mac)

4) go back to customize gallery setup and disable originals and turn protection (rt clicking) back on (if that's your pleasure)

deal.gif thats it!

ps: what's your site?
  • Options
    christinacraftchristinacraft Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2005
    Thanks so much! That did the trick. I was hoping we could do that - you never know when you need your original.

I haven't finished setting up my site yet, but you can find it at craft.smugmug.com - I'm actually still uploading files into my galleries.

Cheers!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Thanks so much! That did the trick. I was hoping we could do that - you never know when you need your original.

I haven't finished setting up my site yet, but you can find it at craft.smugmug.com - I'm actually still uploading files into my galleries.

Cheers!

christina,

you should be keeping a copy of your original locally, too. i have my origs stored on my hd, ext drive, once/month burn to dvd, and also smugmug.

sounds like you could use some add'l protection at home....
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    Darn, silly me
    Totally forgot about this.
    I keep thinking in "mass" terms, simple single-image actions elude me:-)
    Thanks, Andy!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hi christina

1) make sure in customize gallery, that "originals" are checked, and that right click is disabled

2) go to image, make size = large

3) right click, save to desktop (pc) or just drag it to your desktop (mac)

4) go back to customize gallery setup and disable originals and turn protection (rt clicking) back on (if that's your pleasure)

deal.gif thats it!

ps: what's your site?

If you've uploaded "larger than Large" (more than 800px on a side) photos, this is even easier. With "Originals" allowed and "Protected" turned off, there's a "Save photo" link that you can simply click.

A quick glance at your photos suggests you only upload 800px images, but should you change your mind, it's a bit easier. :)

Don
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 17, 2005
    Hi Christina, as you see here, many ways to grab originals at smugmug.

Anyway, I have been meaning to tell you for quite a while now that I really enjoy your stuff. Sorry it's so late.

Thanks

-don