Options

Fireworks How-to!

i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in Technique
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-photograph-fireworks/

Link I located today, lots of great tips!

Enjoy! :barb
I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
~Herbert Keppler

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 2, 2008
    Tripod, cable release, f8 or f11 at ISO 100 to start, manual focus, Manual Mode exposure of 1/4 to a few seconds should get everyone started.

Shoot a few frames and then look at the histogram, and adjust the exposure to keep the highlights from blowing out.

Lets see what folks come up with this Friday. Happy Independence Day!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Here is the best shot i got.
    I tried fixing them, but i am new to capture software, so it is still a work in progress.
    2639311636_e5c5663cbb.jpg?v=0
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Hi Billthumb.gif

I think that is pretty good. Having water in the foreground helps so much.

The downside is that bridge we were on vibrated when cars went across it, so some shots were lost to that. I din't really appreciate that at the time and yet, thinking about it, I should have suspected as much. I was just excited to be there I think. But I think I got a couple frames. The finale was the best part of the show, that's for certain.

I may have used a stronger curve to help drive my skies to black. What were your shutter speeds? Mine ran from 4-8 seconds usually, at f5.6 to f8, ISO 100. With a D-70 your ISO was probably 200, I don't think a D-70 goes as low as 100.

Here are a couple of mine

326006151_u9vTC-XL.jpg

326008716_sguYc-XL.jpg

• Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    I shot at F8 (as instructed) and I was at 2, 4 and 8 seconds shutter speed, ISO 200 (D70 doesn't og to 100 it seems), depending on the action. I only had a couple of OOF, they were more just blown out with the 8 second ones, or there was ghosts from hitting the shutter a second too slow and catching the last bit of a previous burst. I am trying to lighten the water part, but keep the sky dark, and haven't figured out how to seperate the picture to do that. I need software courses i guess.

Just saw your shots, you did get some good ones!!

Fortuna favet fatuis
    trippy64.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    With ISO 200, f11 is equivalent to f8 for ISO 100.

To lighten the water, separately from the background, will require a selection, and in this image the easiest selection is with a Quick Mask. Hit the Q key to bring up Quick Mask mode in Photoshop, hit the D key to set the foreground color to black, hit the B key and choose a very soft brush at 100% opacity in Normal blending mode. Paint over the image in the area you want to edit separately, and, as you paint, the image will be colored pink in the areas you have selected. Once you have all the area you want to be affected, hit Q again to exit the Quick Mask mode, and the dancing ants will outline the area selected. Now, go to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Curves and a box will come up to allow you to name the adjustment layer - click OK, and then the Curves dialog box pops up. Alter the curve as needed to achieve the lighter or darker areas as in the foreground water, and click OK again.

You can darken the background fireworks also by reselecting the area selected in Quick Mask, inverting it, and doing a second curve for the fireworks itself.

Your image will go from this to this

[imgl]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/326109648_ukEGB-XL.jpg[/imgl] [imgr]http://Pathfinder.smugmug.com/photos/326226489_wuhZQ-XL.jpg[/imgr]

More of my shots can be seen here

• Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    The biggest mistake made is choosing relatively short shutter speeds. I tend to set exposure for between 2-8 seconds. Bulb mode is the best. Get a cable release. When you hear a group of fireworks go up, press the release. Let it go when you get a satisfactory number of bursts. Since everything else is dark and the fireworks you are capturing is essentially just light, you really don't have to worry about exposure. It's unlikely you will blow any highlights with a reasonable exposure.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2008
    Ben,

That is exactly what I found, and my shutter speeds ranged from 4 to 10 seconds, depending on how fast the mortars were firing.

Toward the end of the display in the finale, I began to close the aperture from f8 more like f11 since there was so much more light in the sky. Shooting over water helps with more reflected light in the foreground. I found it easy to have blown highlights with multiple bright displays in the frame. When RAW processing my images, I used a large amount of Recovery in Adobe RAW converter to salvage areas of blown highlights even when the exposure was correct because any less would have been significantly underexposed. One thing I would do differently is use a prime lens - maybe an 85mm or a 50mm on my 5D - I used my 24-105 L which I regard highly, but it is known to be prone to flare, and that is true for fireworks also. A simpler prime might have had less flare.

Some of my fireworks shots can be seen here

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-photograph-fireworks/

Link I located today, lots of great tips!

Enjoy! wings.gif
    I followed this recipe on Friday, and got some really nice conventional shots (albeit without a really nice water foreground), such as the following:

326063937_iSrz5-L.jpg

But the unforeseen results were even more interesting, at least to me:

326067617_Z5gp2-L.jpg

326067132_TjnMS-L.jpg

326063397_NfmWK-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Very interesting.

Were you shooting from a bridge also?:D

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very interesting.

Were you shooting from a bridge also?:D
    If you are addressing this to me, quite the contrary. I was on a golf course sitting on my butt with my tripod fully un-extended. Great venue though, especially since it started raining just at fireworks time and I was able to set up under the edge of a food tent. I do have some human silhouettes in a couple of shots, but they are easily cropped out or in a couple of cases provide some valuable perspective.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Lovely shots everyone! Unfortunately the conference let out about 1.5 hours late and I had to leave the camera in the room just to see the fireworks.

Fortunately they were great ones!

Hope everyone enjoyed the blessed country we live in!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    Balls CastenBalls Casten Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    I lost so many shots that were out of focus.
    Thank god for digital .. never would have taken a single shot had I still been using film.

fireworks.jpg
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks for the help
    I tried fireworks for the first time this past 4th. Thanks to all the old hands for the advise and the "how to" links. My setup was a little rushed so I had to make the Washington Monument streight using NX2.

General camera info: D70s, Nikon 17-55 (at 55mm), JPEG large, manual mode, auto white balance,

The first shots I was a little shy with the settings:
    f9, 4/10 sec,
    326516735_Kncfv-M.jpg

looking at the shots, I changed to f13, 625/1000 sec
    326523944_RKgkY-M.jpg

then finally to f22, 4.0 seconds
    326525353_4T8Ku-M.jpg

Even though I have some work to do next year, I am very happy with this batch of shots thanks to you guys.
    John
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    new technique for next year
    I just was sharing photos of the fireworks, and he suggested changing the zoom while the shutter was open. Especially on a long lens. He stated the shots going in and out arer pretty intersting, something I will attempt next year.
    trippy64.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    trippy64 wrote:
    I just was sharing photos of the fireworks, and he suggested changing the zoom while the shutter was open. Especially on a long lens. He stated the shots going in and out arer pretty intersting, something I will attempt next year.

Was 'he' using a constant aperture lens? Otherwise you'd be adjusting exposure too, which may be just as interesting...

~Herbert Keppler