D300 too much of a "first" DSLR learning curve?

RandallPMcMurphyRandallPMcMurphy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited July 3, 2008 in Cameras
I'm just taking up digital photography as a hobby, I currently only have experience with point and shoots (panasonic TZ5) and a little bit of a D80 that I get to play with from time to time. I have taken a basic photography class and spend some weekends at the book store scouring through the digital photography books.

I have about 2k total to spend to get me started and have been through the never-ending D300 vs. D40 flamewar/debates.....I am leaning towards a D300 with 1 or 2 very good lenses.

My question is...am I making too big of a jump to get started with a D300? I'll be taking a class here or there when I can find them in NJ, as well as have a few photographer friends who shoot D3's. I hate to get something like a D80 only to want a D300 in a short time. But, it's a hobby and I'll never do it pro.

I know I know....every post is a D300 or D30 vs. 40D post.....and this is my first...sorry sorry..sorry.

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    I'm just taking up digital photography as a hobby, I currently only have experience with point and shoots (panasonic TZ5) and a little bit of a D80 that I get to play with from time to time. I have taken a basic photography class and spend some weekends at the book store scouring through the digital photography books.

I have about 2k total to spend to get me started and have been through the never-ending D300 vs. D40 flamewar/debates.....I am leaning towards a D300 with 1 or 2 very good lenses.

My question is...am I making too big of a jump to get started with a D300? I'll be taking a class here or there when I can find them in NJ, as well as have a few photographer friends who shoot D3's. I hate to get something like a D80 only to want a D300 in a short time. But, it's a hobby and I'll never do it pro.

I know I know....every post is a D300 or D30 vs. 40D post.....and this is my first...sorry sorry..sorry.
    Welcome to dgrin wave.gif

While the learning curve is steep and you may have a bit of buyers remorse since you'll be a bit overwhelmed by the D300. This will pass quickly as you get used to the camera. The D300 is vastly superior to the D40 in almost every way.

I say buy the D300, RTFM, then come in here and ask questions. We'll be more than happy to help. Make sure you search the forums first though. There have been allot of really good Q & A's in here already.

-Jon
  • RandallPMcMurphyRandallPMcMurphy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    thanks. I appreciate the advice.
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Absolutely, if you can afford it, got for it. It's ages above any other DSLR under 2000$

But then again, you may be better in the long run with a used older body and better glass. What do you intend to shoot ? You won't be able to get a D300 and two really good lens with a 2k budget tough.

If you're new to photography you might want to buy a guide to the camera as well, like the one sold by Thom Hogan, at bythom.com. Never read his guides, but I've heard good things about them.
    edited July 2, 2008
    Davidoff wrote:
    Absolutely, if you can afford it, got for it. It's ages above any other DSLR under 2000$

But then again, you may be better in the long run with a used older body and better glass. What do you intend to shoot ? You won't be able to get a D300 and two really good lens with a 2k budget tough.

If you're new to photography you might want to buy a guide to the camera as well, like the one sold by Thom Hogan, at bythom.com. Never read his guides, but I've heard good things about them.

I see these packages on ebay....and I don't want a "package" per se, but i spoke with a big ebay seller of these packages who will work with me on my own "package" where I can get 1 or 2 decent lenses.
    I was looking at something like this, just without the rest of the bullshit that I don't need (i have a tripod, and dont need hard cases, etc.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D300-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55-55-200-4GB-More_W0QQitemZ110265271169QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43456QQcmdZViewItem
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    I see these packages on ebay....and I don't want a "package" per se, but i spoke with a big ebay seller of these packages who will work with me on my own "package" where I can get 1 or 2 decent lenses.
    I was looking at something like this, just without the rest of the bullshit that I don't need (i have a tripod, and dont need hard cases, etc.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D300-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55-55-200-4GB-More_W0QQitemZ110265271169QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43456QQcmdZViewItem

Those are not 2 pro lens. And what the heck is a "digital flash" ? rolleyes1.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008

Buy from a reputable dealer, avoid ebay. Check resellerratings.com, as well as the thread here on DGrin.

here is the reseller rating of your ebay seller...not as bad as others I have seen, but no B&H

I recommend B&H or Adarama as your first choices...don't get burned.
    edited July 2, 2008

oof nevermind on that, I just called again and talked to someone who was a complete asshole....said they don't have the d300 in stock only import models...kinda turned me off..

in any case, I'm planning on hitting up some sort of local store (eitherin Philly or NJ) and pulling the trigger on something, if it gets a little more than 2k its ok....

for the most part, i shoot travel pictures....and (don't laugh) food pictures....as well as I do a lot of motorcycle travel.
    edited July 2, 2008
    if anyone can recommend a reputable retailer in philly/NJ that would be great too...
  • EJP PhotoEJP Photo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Get the D300. You can always rely on the default settings and automatic mode in the beginning. The learning curve is high, but it's not terrifically steep if you approach it right and take a little bit at a time. There's no sense in trying to master every option the camera offers at once (there's an insane number). The basic controls are intuitive enough IMHO, and you can learn the rest of the options a function at a time.

The only problem is you won't be able to afford two good lenses plus a D300 body on $2k, as the body alone will cost you that much.
    edited July 2, 2008
    EJP Photo wrote:
    Get the D300. You can always rely on the default settings and automatic mode in the beginning. The learning curve is high, but it's not terrifically steep if you approach it right and take a little bit at a time. There's no sense in trying to master every option the camera offers at once (there's an insane number). The basic controls are intuitive enough IMHO, and you can learn the rest of the options a function at a time.

The only problem is you won't be able to afford two good lenses plus a D300 body on $2k, as the body alone will cost you that much.

thanks....

I guess I was relying too much on those "brooklyn store" ebay prices to gauge....

I was thinking maybe something like

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1184.htm then springing ~500 on another lense to start out with?
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    avoid ebay ...don't get burned.
    I've had tons of transactions on ebay w/ great success. Just use some common sense and only buy from a power seller w/ great reviews and you can save some $$.
    edited July 2, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've had tons of transactions on ebay w/ great success. Just use some common sense and only buy from a power seller w/ great reviews and you can save some $$.

I'd honestly rather pay a few dollars more to go instore and speak to a live person about lenses, etc. as....a person can only research so much online wihtout going crazy(like me the past few weeks!)...i want to be able to see everything.

I was planning on hitting up an online-ebay retailer's store front, but after that last phone call I was way turned off!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    if anyone can recommend a reputable retailer in philly/NJ that would be great too...

I have done quite a bit of dealings with a couple off ebay....Philly Photo ( ihave bought several items from) and CAMETA Camera (not philly or NJ but out on long island................AMITYVILLE......yup same as the Horror movie was about:D)......bought a few cameras from them with nary a prob (all off ebay)....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 2, 2008
    think im going to try to hit up calumet in philly.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008

You know, if it were me (and at one time I lived 10yrs in the King of Prussia area), I would train/drive to NYC and spend the day at B&H. You live close enough to make it a day trip easy. It is well worth the cost to get there, and the selection is unlike anything on the planet. You can try absolutely any lens, any camera body, any bag, etc, etc. Every time I am in NYC I drop by, just to check something out.

Smaller stores typically have limited selection, and while you may be lucky and have a good pro store in the Philly area (I don't know of one), chances are you will be stuck with Wolf or Ritz, which will not offer you the best price selection or frankly even service.
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    I'd honestly rather pay a few dollars more to go instore and speak to a live person about lenses, etc. as....a person can only research so much online wihtout going crazy(like me the past few weeks!)...i want to be able to see everything.

I was planning on hitting up an online-ebay retailer's store front, but after that last phone call I was way turned off!
    I have a D300 for sale in the for sale section.
    Go here to see the info on it.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96476
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    This may be a bit off topic, but you've said a couple things that puzzle me when taken together. First you say you'll never go pro, then you say you shoot "food" photos. Lemme tell ya sumpin Grasshoppah . . . if you're good at shooting food, you can make one big pile of money from your photography.thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    New D300 bodies sell for &1649.00 at B&H with warranty...used D300's sell for whatever and have no warranty...at least not from Nikon. The minimum that I have been charged for a repair at Nikon has been $200.00...and that was for minor stuff. I concur with buying from B & H or Adorama. I have used them a lot and am very satisfied with their service and products.

Nikon cameras have 1 year warranty while Nikon lenses have as much as 5 years warranty.

The D300 is the way to go. It has a superior focus system, can use commander mode in camera to operate SB800 off camera flash in iTTL mode. It is not just a dressed up D200, it has the CMOS sensor with much better ISO, one of the best 3 inch rear displays in the business, Active-D lighting, and much more. It has a lot of camera functions controlled by buttons on the body...so you don't have to read through the menus to set up the selections...if you can pick through the menus, then you can easily learn to push buttons. It is a next generation camera...on par with the D3 except for the sensor. Buying a D300 is buying the latest electronics...so much so that the D700 is virtually the same camera...spec wise...excepting the sensor. The similarities between the D300 and D700, electronics wise, are amazingly similar...that's how good the D300 electronics are. See below for a comparison between the D300 and D700 electronics and features.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-D700-Digital-SLR-Camera.shtml

Start out as good as you can afford and learn the system. You already have some experience. It's just a matter of hooking up with someone and have them show you some tricks of the trade and you'll be off and running.

So, I say, go for it. You can use the D300 in P mode for a while...it will take wondrous pictures in this mode...until you learn the rest.

I have two D300's...and am not buying the D700...you can buy two (2) D300's for the price of one D700 and change.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • iChinchillabuttiChinchillabutt Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    I don't know about the OP but I'm sold :D
    (now, where's the nearest Coinstar?)mwink.gif
    edited July 2, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    This may be a bit off topic, but you've said a couple things that puzzle me when taken together. First you say you'll never go pro, then you say you shoot "food" photos. Lemme tell ya sumpin Grasshoppah . . . if you're good at shooting food, you can make one big pile of money from your photography.thumb.gif

hmmm....and even though my profession is NOTHING close to photography, I work for the largest newspapers (and many newspapers) around the world! don't you tempt me! haha.

actully my other hobby is cooking, and dining out....

i didn't want to spam my personal blog, (don't worry dont make any money off it, just a place to show friends) but its here....

http://randallpmcmurphy.blogspot.com my smug mug is off there too......if your interested....in the "other" section and summer 2008 there are a few beach pictures I'm proud of....

in any case, I digress....I made a trek to philly and went to Calumut photo signed up for a few classes..one..."learn your d300" and since It would be silly to take a class about the d300 without having one to practice on....I bought one......price matched to B&H....1649 :)

I have to admit...i'm way confused on lenses, but the sales guy talked me into the DX 18-200 lense...came out to ~2200 with everything....and i picked up a bag, card, and lens filter/cover/uv....i picked up the extended warrenty 3 years extra for like 100$ and they threw in the classes and a few other discounts for as well so it was almost a wash.

got the rest of the week off, and having a "personal fireworks display" for my 4th of july engagement party on friday so I'll get a chance to mess with it all weekend.

thanks for all the advice.
  • iChinchillabuttiChinchillabutt Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Yay! good for you :ivar
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Nice lenses go a long way.
    Combine a great body and a bad lens = mediocre pix
    Combine just about any body and a great lens = great pix