Options

Matte or glossy? please

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited April 17, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am going to order a large print from smugmug, or several small ones. If I order a large one to frame, would you suggest a matte or glossy?

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am going to order a large print from smugmug, or several small ones. If I order a large one to frame, would you suggest a matte or glossy?

ginger

coke or pepsi?

thong or bikini?

beef or pork ribs?

it's a personal thing, dear. look at prints you own - what do you like better? i have many of each - and i love them all ....

oh and ps: you forgot lustre deal.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    andy wrote:
    coke or pepsi?

thong or bikini?

beef or pork ribs?

it's a personal thing, dear. look at prints you own - what do you like better? i have many of each - and i love them all ....

oh and ps: you forgot lustre deal.gif

coke. thong. ribs. lustre.

Don
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    Ginger I just received yesterday an image in "Lustre" from my gallery to sign and send off in fact this image:

17035794-S.jpg

Looked Great thumb.gif. 1st time I've seen one of mine in print. Just food for thought headscratch.gifclap
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
  • Options
    Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    Hi Ginger,
    With the smaller prints, if you're going to put them in an album that has plastic sleeves, I would not suggest glossy. The plastic tends to stick to the surface of a glossy print and leave ugly patterns. Same applies if you're going to put them in frames with glass and without a mat, where the glass makes contact with the print surface.
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2005
    Thanks, Jerry, that explains why I have flowers from a previous photo stuck to my main 16 X 20 in frame's glass.

But BFR, that lustre looks great, of course there is alot of color in the photo.

I spend my time so confused I never do anything. Well, I do drink diet coke, as a lil old grandmother, I have never gone the thong route: looks painful. (And pork ribs, of course, no imitations for us South Carolinians.)

Another thing I could do would be to put some of my photos, framed, for sale, in a friend's collectable's shop. She would be very nice to do that for me, has limited wall space. What size would you suggest I do?

I would like to go huge, would cost more than a CF card, and might be too much for her.

I am so confused on my money. Limited amt and choices to be made.

If anyone is reading this, how big a photo would you make as your debut photo, framed, to put in your friend's very popular shop?

And would you suggest just using a book from Lulu as a way of showing what else you "have".

ginger
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    I think I would start with 8x10s...they are reasonably inexpensive but large enough to be interesting. The frames are relatively easy to find, also. I would think with a well-exposed pic that's not cropped much you could get a very high-quality 16x24 or maybe a 20x30, but then you are starting to look at a much larger upfront cost. The larger you go the more obvious things like blown highlights or cloned out wires are. Why not try a couple 8x10s and one or two larger pictures? If the big ones sell right away, it's only a few days to order more. If the smaller ones are the ones that move off the wall and home with someone, you'll know those are the ones you need more of. What you're thinking of charging would play into it as well...
  • Options
    Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    Wal-Mart here carries a good assortment of stock size frames. One of the ones I've been tempted to buy - but haven't yet - is an 11 X 17 frame with a matte for a 8 X 10. It would look more professional than a bare 8 X 10 frame. They also have 8 X 10s with a 5 X 7 matte opening. Price range is $10-25 CAN, so would be cheaper in your area for sure.
    -Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
    - Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2005
    Andy posted an internet company I was going to check out. I have it bookmarked.

I think they have black, aluminum and something else, and mats in different sizes. I would use a matte.

Thanks, I should check out Wal-Mart for myself..........soon. Or as soon as I buy another HP cartridge. Does anyone know a cheaper way to get those? I could get them at Costco in double packs, but they are 50 or more dollars and not that much cheaper than single. Anyway, I need one.

ginger
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    You should make this a poll:-)
    andy wrote:
    coke or pepsi?
    thong or bikini?
    beef or pork ribs?
    • grey goose martini/guinnes/good red wine/blue label/patrone/armenian brandy/...
      well, have to stop, the list is pretty long
      sorry, don't drink diluted chemicals:-)
    • I'd say thong, but that may be age/gender specific:-)
    • surf-and-turf, medium rare (rare if the place is REALLY good)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"