323082418_wnEpd-X3.jpg
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    322371453_h6y8S-X3.jpg
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Maybe it's my small monitor, but I have a hard time viewing these pics, because they are so large. They look good, but I have to scroll my page in order view the entire photo.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    I've gpt a 19 inch monitor. I think..

I can see most of each pic. I post em big like this cos they look better big.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    324667181_zqm2N-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    323156588_MeMBK-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    322475220_YLq3e-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    322371076_B8rYh-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Nice stuff. Are you using fill flash? Manual or Av?

Big is nice, but it borders on excessive for those that have dial-up or slow connections.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    2whlrcr wrote:
    Maybe it's my small monitor, but I have a hard time viewing these pics, because they are so large. They look good, but I have to scroll my page in order view the entire photo.

Agreed.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    j-bo wrote:
    Nice stuff. Are you using fill flash? Manual or Av?

Big is nice, but it borders on excessive for those that have dial-up or slow connections.

no flash fill. caught a low sun late in the day on a few. sports setting on all shots.

as far as the size. I suggest nobody goes to the Metroplitan Museum to see any of the Monets, Rembrandts, Pollocks, and definitely steer clear of that one of Washington crosssing the Deleware. :D
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I can't see them top to bottom without scrolling on my 24" Imac, please resize.
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    as far as the size. I suggest nobody goes to the Metroplitan Museum to see any of the Monets, Rembrandts, Pollocks, and definitely steer clear of that one of Washington crosssing the Deleware

Well.. obviously you don't get it on the sizing issue. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    I find something in this size more pleasant to view and still adequately large. But hey, that's me.

159347432_72Bgg-L-11.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    159347432_72Bgg-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    the first picture is a man on a motorcycle to me.

when its bigger its a man on a 4 cylinder hill climber with a fair amount of people down below looking up.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    never mind
  • Options
    hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I love this guys helmet! looks like he's on a budget!
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
    http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    nipprdog wrote:
    Agreed.
    I agree - the pics are too dang big. Sorry, but its a pain to see your pics and comment on them. Two comments I will make is 1) be careful about your cropping. Bottom of wheels off here, back of bike there, etc. Get the whole bike in the frame. Pay more attention to the edges of the view finder when you shoot. And 2) I highly suggest not shooting in "sports" mode. Take charge of how you want the image to look. Are you trying to freeze motion or show motion? Is the background important and you need it reasonably focused, or do you want the background blurred out? Speaking of backgrounds, that yellow dozer needs to go. :) Choose your shooting locations a bit better and watch your backgrounds.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    I agree - the pics are too dang big. Sorry, but its a pain to see your pics and comment on them. Two comments I will make is 1) be careful about your cropping. Bottom of wheels off here, back of bike there, etc. Get the whole bike in the frame. Pay more attention to the edges of the view finder when you shoot. And 2) I highly suggest not shooting in "sports" mode. Take charge of how you want the image to look. Are you trying to freeze motion or show motion? Is the background important and you need it reasonably focused, or do you want the background blurred out? Speaking of backgrounds, that yellow dozer needs to go. :) Choose your shooting locations a bit better and watch your backgrounds.

comments noted and appreciated.

in regards to cropping, I'll aggree it is something to watch for, but I don't think a little "uncropped" subject is always a bad thing. for example this one. while not on purpose, the effect is certainly pleasing from my perspective. comments welcome.

326928890_eGxRC-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    I agree - the pics are too dang big. Sorry, but its a pain to see your pics and comment on them. Two comments I will make is 1) be careful about your cropping.

as far as size, I realize it may be a "pain" to look at but some pics just look better bigger and I like to let people see them looking as good as possible.

not sure what you mean about the sports setting. seems to be working pretty good for me most of the time.

327602093_Gz3vX-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Ok, I think we're all going to give up on convincing you that needing to scroll a monitor to see a single image is a pain.
    amadeus wrote:
    not sure what you mean about the sports setting. seems to be working pretty good for me most of the time.

I'll repeat myself: I highly suggest not shooting in "sports" mode. Take charge of how you want the image to look. Are you trying to freeze motion or show motion? Is the background important and you need it reasonably focused, or do you want the background blurred out?

Sports mode makes some assumption of how to setup the camera. Usually it revolves around a fast shutter speed. This is usually fine for stick-and-ball sports (though not always), but usually not fine for motorsports (though, again, not always). So no one setting works all the time for all sports shots, but that is what you are attempting to do when you click to sports mode.

You've got a good start with your photos. I do still encourage you to watch the details when you shoot more carefully. Its not an easy task to learn but it will eventually become automatic. Your shots will be more consistently centered, you'll stop cropping off bits of tire and handle bars and helmets, you'll notice distracting backgrounds 200 feet behind the rider. Next you'll start asking yourself what overall effect you want from the image. Are you trying to show motion, or stop motion? Is your background an interesting one that needs to be in-focus to add punch to the image, or one that would be better if blurred? And that is when you stop letting the camera dictate the exposure settings and you take charge. Do you shoot in Tv mode and choose a slow shutter, or a fast one? Do you shoot in Av mode and choose a shallow depth of field or a deep one?

The camera doesn't really know what you're trying to accomplish when you push the button. Its just taking a guess. You, however, do know what you're trying to accomplish. :) Make the camera do what you want, not the other way around.

Cheers.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    amadeus wrote:
    comments noted and appreciated.

in regards to cropping, I'll aggree it is something to watch for, but I don't think a little "uncropped" subject is always a bad thing. for example this one. while not on purpose, the effect is certainly pleasing from my perspective. comments welcome.

326928890_eGxRC-XL.jpg
    The photo overall is very good and very interesting. You've got that tree there that he is rounding, giving some context as to what the rider is doing. The background is nicely blurred -- its still recognizable as an outdoor forest-type environment, but blurred enough that our eyes don't pay too much attention to the background, our attention gets steered to the in-focus rider, which is what you want. But I do think the image would be a bit stronger if that little bit of boot and rear tire were not cropped off. That is just my opinion, disclaimer to follow:

Artistic cropping is difficult to pull off. Crop a small amount and it looks accidental rather than purposeful. Crop too much and you lose any sense of what the image is all about. Its a very subjective thing that not everyone is going to agree on. Sometimes its easier to not crop in the camera, and crop artisticly later on with the computer, where you have the luxury of trying different crops to see what works and what doesn't.

I took this shot in-camera. I originally thought it would be dramatic, but now I no longer think so. I think its too-much. But I have no ability to crop it less tight anymore:
    50363739_MwZMw-M.jpg

This one of mine is even worse. Again, an in-camera crop, and I have no ability to undo the damage.
    50364921_asak5-M.jpg
    A former sports shooter