In a field of Barley

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in People
Had the itch to shoot the other night so I took my two year old and went across the street to the barley field. After a few shots, she asked if she could take my picture. :D She has the chimping thing down.

Shots straight out of camera. I especially like dinner on her face still.
1)
324405012_rRqbj-L.jpg

2)
324400240_zVmdV-L.jpg

3)
The Chimpin Queen
324415345_RmXHc-L.jpg

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Nice off camera fill with the ST-e2, the Canon wireless system really delivers for this kind of close proximity off camera key light. Too bad they don't make an 800 watt second E-TTL battery powered strobe. My kids hate it when I take their picture with my medium format camera, the three year old just can't get over the fact that he can't see the picture right after I take it...He even told my wife my camera was "broken" and that "He didn't do it".
  • goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I like the angle on # 2, but by far my fav is #3. The camera looks like it's almost as big as she is. I think it's a keeper for sure. clap.gif
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    My kids hate it when I take their picture with my medium format camera, the three year old just can't get over the fact that he can't see the picture right after I take it...He even told my wife my camera was "broken" and that "He didn't do it".

That is funny!! So he probably wouldn't understand 8 track tape music either. rolleyes1.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    goofry wrote:
    I like the angle on # 2, but by far my fav is #3. The camera looks like it's almost as big as she is. I think it's a keeper for sure. clap.gif

When I first looked at the photo, I was surprised how big the camera looked with her holding it. Not a lot of difference in size.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I love that song.. And great captures, very nice lighting:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Hi shatch!

I have to dissent about the lighting. I think it isolates the figure too artificially in this kind of subject.

Twilight, too, is a choice of atmosphere for other subjects than toddlers, IMHO. It is a very philosophic, metaphysical light. Or "glamorous" a la Nik. Soft early morning light might have been more sympathetic?

Also, as you know, I flinch a bit at kid pics. Sometimes they pull the cliche strings just too easily and vacuously. She's a pretty, charming and sharp little body, I'm sure, but she means a lot more to you than to me. The way you have presented her is not "universal" enough to make it worthwhile giving the pics much time.

As family snaps, of course they are great, and valuable!

Best.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    What a pretty girl! Love the photos. Really like the lighting in #1 and #2. The color is beautiful. Maybe lighten up her face a bit in #2 when you do pp. That camera does look big and heavy in #3, great shot. What lens did you shoot these with?

Looks like a fun time ... thanks for sharing.
    LadyTX
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    #3 mwink.gif It looks like a behemoth in front of the little one!!

Such great lighting in 1 and 2!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Hi shatch!

I have to dissent about the lighting. I think it isolates the figure too artificially in this kind of subject.

Twilight, too, is a choice of atmosphere for other subjects than toddlers, IMHO. It is a very philosophic, metaphysical light. Or "glamorous" a la Nik. Soft early morning light might have been more sympathetic?

Also, as you know, I flinch a bit at kid pics. Sometimes they pull the cliche strings just too easily and vacuously. She's a pretty, charming and sharp little body, I'm sure, but she means a lot more to you than to me. The way you have presented her is not "universal" enough to make it worthwhile giving the pics much time.

Best.

Neil

Wow we have had a long tradition of child haters here at dgrin. There is nothing more philosphical or glamorous than a toddler "IMHO". These do NOT classify as just "family" snaps and "IMHO" (which is almost always used to say I'm the king sh*t and you are an idiot) have as much right to be posted here as any saucy tart, or thrid world person in agony. Get over it kid hater.
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    great photos....hahaha I love #3 that camera is almost as big as her
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Oh wow that's a big camera! Almost as big as she is. Laughing.gif

These pictures are fantastic!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 3, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Wow we have had a long tradition of child haters here at dgrin. There is nothing more philosphical or glamorous than a toddler "IMHO". These do NOT classify as just "family" snaps and "IMHO" (which is almost always used to say I'm the king sh*t and you are an idiot) have as much right to be posted here as any saucy tart, or thrid world person in agony. Get over it kid hater.

We have a stronger tradition of respect on Dgrin, regardless of the genre or personal tastes. I would ask everyone to to observe that tradition. deal.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    these are inspiring....im going to take my little girl out for some shots this evening...havent done that in a long time...time is due!

thanks
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 3, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:

Yes, thanks, I came across as rather insensitive. Always difficult to go against the trend. Sorry to have given offense. I do stand by my crits however, and shatch knows I think he does awesome things.

Neil

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Get over it kid hater.
    lol3.gif

Long live the Kids!

photo-sharing-online-albums.jpg

photo-sharing.jpg
    edited July 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif

Long live the Kids!

photo-sharing.jpg

They're certainly good for business. thumb.gif

Neil

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Shatch, I like the way the lighting works in number 1. It really makes me focus on her wonderment at the piece of grass in her hands. Kids can be so enthusiastic about the simplest of things and that is one of the joys in photographing children - they react so honestly. It's true that you could have shot this in morning light and it would have been very beautiful, and a shot that many have taken, but it would have been an entirely different shot (to me). You tried something different than the typical shot. But then, you always do! Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif (Cute lil' chimper!)
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    wow...the lighting is just great..a little subdued. Colors are great, and something abou the composition really do it for me on 1 and 2.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Hi shatch!

Best.

Neil

I think you over think it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I'm not normally a fan of kid pics myself, but truly appreciate the ones that are well executed. I LOVE these shots....the 2nd one reminds me of Joe McNally's style. You work with the light you have. I love the unposed look of it. As for the 3rd....bless her chimpin heart!!!

And Andy....that pooch smooch pic is absolutely adorable!
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif

Long live the Kids!

photo-sharing.jpg

that second shot looks strangly familiar. hmmm. . . .
    edited July 3, 2008
    love #2

#3 seems a little hot/ flashy
    edited July 3, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    We have a stronger tradition of respect on Dgrin, regardless of the genre or personal tastes. I would ask everyone to to observe that tradition. deal.gif

keep us on the straight and narrow, Richard, we all wander off from time to time. here here for the moderators!
    edited July 4, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    I think you over think it.

rolleyes1.gifclap

Maybe...! But don't let that perturb your underthinking in the slightest! thumb.gif

Neil

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    #1&2 are just precious!!! iloveyou.giflust and #3 is just too funny! rolleyes1.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I love her expression in #1.