A few minutes with the boy

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited July 3, 2008 in People
I was telling my son how I had bought a couple used strobes so of course he wants to see them being a boy and all.I quickly set up all the stuff I recently picked up and fired off a few shots for about 15 minutes.

Let me know how I did (still new to the whole indoor and strobe thing :D)

1. Sporting the long hair these days :dunno

324414925_bftD4-XL-1.jpg

324415152_JaHqE-XL-1.jpg

3. His shirt is a bit lost in the back drop but oh well

324415262_w8heY-L-1.jpg

4. He decided he wanted to play on the giant white paper :rofl

324416094_hgKJh-L-1.jpg

5. and a quick B&W

324415910_39zvS-L-1.jpg

C&C always appreciated.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• goofrygoofry Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I'll give a try at what I see

1. A little hot on the left side of his face. On computer, I almost lose the detail and edge of his face on this one.

2. I like the lighting on this one better. Maybe try a reflector, or foam core on the opposite side to fill in just a little bit. Other than that, nice shot.

3. Nice and even across his face. Where did that floating hand come from? Just Kidding.

4. Once again, nice and even. You have a tough subject with him in a white t-shirt. The blue jeans really pop though.

5. Maybe slightly overexposed for BW. The toys look like they are floating.

I hope this helps. I'm still working on my studio shots as well, so take my CC with a grain of salt.

Cute kid with some beautiful blue eyes!
    Goofry

http://www.spotlightpicture.com

A bunch of Canon Stuff.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Any help is appreciated.

This was only one strobe w/umbrella to my left side. The foam core is a great point I forgot about- I'll need to source that.

I already re-did the b&w as it is showing pretty flat.

Thanks for the comments. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Number 2 you have very close to good loop lighting. You either need to open the shadow side up a little by as suggested bouncing some light back there OR go for more dramatic and let it fall farther into shadow. You are kind of in an unhappy inbetween. Good loop lighting has that nice lit triangle under the shadow side eye but the nose shadow does not extend past the mouth. Broadlighting (lighting the larger half of the face) is fine for kids, so is flat lighting which you achieved with the rest of your portraits. You should be careful of broadlighting an adult though as having the larger half of the face lit can make adults look fat faced. Short lighting (in the case of your pose lighting from the right) throws the larger half of the subject's face into shadow, minimizing a larger or round face.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Number 2 you have very close to good loop lighting. You either need to open the shadow side up a little by as suggested bouncing some light back there OR go for more dramatic and let it fall farther into shadow. You are kind of in an unhappy inbetween. Good loop lighting has that nice lit triangle under the shadow side eye but the nose shadow does not extend past the mouth. Broadlighting (lighting the larger half of the face) is fine for kids, so is flat lighting which you achieved with the rest of your portraits. You should be careful of broadlighting an adult though as having the larger half of the face lit can make adults look fat faced. Short lighting (in the case of your pose lighting from the right) throws the larger half of the subject's face into shadow, minimizing a larger or round face.

Thank you for the detailed information. I was lost at first but I understand what you are saying and can envision it. I will be aware of that on the next attempt and will be sure not to use white on white this time too. :D

Aaron Newman