question about 35 - 70 f28 lens

andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited July 3, 2008 in Cameras
I recently switched from an f100 to a D300. I am using the same lens on the D300 as I did on the F100 and expected the same quality from it. I am not happy with the D300 coupled with the 35 - 70; the pictures are not of equal quality and there is no wide angle. I expected the loss of wide angle, but not the loss of image quality.

Is there a technical explanation for this? I am now faced with switching to the new D700 and keeping the lens or buying the 24 - 70 f28. Any comments on which is the better choice would be greatly appreciated.

I am a novice when it comes to digital photography, but I am experienced with film.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 3, 2008
    The Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D is a very well regarded lens and should work fine on the digital Nikon cameras like the D300.

Do you have any examples you can post (with full EXIF please)?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I think it would be helpful if you described (or rather showed a picture) of what you would consider to be lesser quality. The D300 is (as you know) a cropped sensor camera, which means that (in theory) you should be shooting at the lens' sweet spot (less corner distortion), and your IQ should be better.
  • andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    The problem might very well be in my image processing or some camera setting. I have alot to learn!

I will put the picture up on smugmug and post the link when I am done.

Thanks for the reply.
    edited July 3, 2008
    Link to photo
    The first shot in the Florida gallery is of a live oak with spanish moss. That was taken with the D300. The rest were taken with my wife's point and shoot.

you can view the pictures at http://sailorman2006.smugmug.com/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 3, 2008
    I see pretty good detail in the branches on the far side of the trunk. While you could call this a "back focus" situation the cause is still undetermined.

If you see a consistent back focus, then either the lens is at fault or the lens needs to be calibrated to the body.

One very nice thing about the Nikon D300 is the ability to use "Live View" mode for visual confirmation of focus. If you set the camera and lens up on a tripod, you can autofocus in normal mode, turn the camera to manual focus mode and switch the camera to Live View.

Now you can enlarge the area of interest (essentially zoom in) and double check focus. If you find the autofocus in normal mode is consistently off, you can start the process of testing against other lenses to see if the problem is the camera of the lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 3, 2008
    Yes, you are correct it is a focus problem. Not the camera or the lens - user error - rolleyes1.gif I didn't unerstand the matrix focus - too may years in the computer business to ever read another manual. I guess I will have to break down and read more if I want to become proficient with this technology.
    thanks for the help.