which one to get? sigma 28-70 f/2.8 ???

ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
edited July 4, 2008 in Cameras
I need a new "normal" lens..i use a 20D so the crop is 1.6

Im in love with the 28-70ish range so id like to get a new one ( worn out tamron 28-75 )

But..there is allways a but... Sigma has a 28-70 f/2.8 which looks rather nice..Compact and it does not extand as much as the tamron.

Sigma allso has a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom which my firend has. It is bulky and big but it is nice to handle with that big focus ring. Since im a "analog" guy when it comes to focus.

I know the tamron lens is good..It just is that way. It is cheap and deasent in quality. At least its a razorblade when it comes to the sharpness.

Anyone who can give me some info about that 28-70 f/2.8 sigma? I want that one but i allso want a good lens rather then a maby better lookin and a tad smaller.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 3, 2008
    Arvan,

I honestly think I would recommend the Tamron 28-75mm, F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) over either of the Sigma lenses you mention.

Tamron also offers one of the best and longest warranties of lenses on the planet (6 years) so I hope you tried to contact your local Tamron dealer, just in case your old lens can be repaired.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ShahidHirjiShahidHirji Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    I alot of people seem to like the Tamron version over Sigma version of the 28-70 f/2.8.

Have you considered the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8? They are very cheap in price but very good. I just received one yesterday but haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. If can be had for around $200-$250. As to the warranty, since I'm in Canada, mine comes with a 10year (yes 10 year) Warranty.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    i got the tamron!

reason 1. I hade one a couple of months back and it was razorsharp so i trust it.

reason 2. It is cheap 3550 kr ( 582 ) usd.. Oh yes you guys have very very good prices on gear compared to us darn scandinavians! :D