No photo tools with Journal view

roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in SmugMug Support
In a couple of my galleries, I'm using Gallery Style == Journal as a blog. The look of the style is great and it works well for visitors.

Unfortunately, it's a royal pain to update because you can't access the Photo Tools while the gallery is in Journal mode. Whenever I upload new pictures, the order ends up different than what I need (not unexpected since it's just trying to get them up fast as possible so it depends on the file sizes). After the upload is complete, I have to:

1) Use the Tools dropdown to go to Customize Gallery
2) Scroll down to change the Gallery View to Viewer Controlled
3) Save
4) Use Photo Tools to rearrange the order of my pictures
5) Save
6) Use Photo Tools to Edit Captions/Keywords
7) Go through every stinking new photo to unmunge the keywords since the "fix" that insists on using the filename as a keyword (ignoring the bug in the fix that doesn't get the filename right) :bluduh
8) Figure out something witty and clever for my captions (if you can fix that one, you guys are *really* good!)
9) Save
10) Gallery Tools -> Customize Gallery again
11) Scroll down to change the Gallery View back to Journal
12) Save

Whew! That's a lot more work than it needs to be...

If we could have access to Photo Tools, it would make Journal mode MUCH more usable.

And yes, I realize the filename/keyword fiasco is a completely separate issue but it's getting old really fast :puke1

Thanks,
Jay

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    rolette wrote:

If we could have access to Photo Tools, it would make Journal mode MUCH more usable.
    Clicking on the photo doesn't help? That's how you can see the photo tools.[/quote]

And yes, I realize the filename/keyword fiasco is a completely separate issue but it's getting old really fast :puke1

Thanks,
    Jay[/QUOTE]I'm so sorry, but this has been this way since we put keywords on the site years ago. I'm sorry it's not working for you. Why change the filenames on your end? Why not use the iptc description field for the caption, and the keyword field for the keywords?
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Clicking on the photo doesn't help? That's how you can see the photo tools.

Not if you've disabled that function for your journal style galleries...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Not if you've disabled that function for your journal style galleries...

For journal galleries where I've disabled (or redirected) clicking on the photo, I find that the easiest way to access photo tools is to briefly change the gallery style to smugmug.
  • roletterolette Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Clicking on the photo doesn't help? That's how you can see the photo tools.

That works, thanks! Wasn't obvious since the photo tools are in the main view everywhere else, but that's much more workable than what I was doing.
    I'm so sorry, but this has been this way since we put keywords on the site years ago. I'm sorry it's not working for you. Why change the filenames on your end? Why not use the iptc description field for the caption, and the keyword field for the keywords?

I went back and looked through the first galleries I created when I signed up for SmugMug (October 2007) and none of them have the filename (or chunks of the filename) as keywords.

The main difference I see is that I name the files as something-relavent-to-the-event_xxxx.jpg instead of IMG_xxxx.JPG. Based on your suggestion, I take it SmugMug doesn't generate a keyword for filenames of a certain form?

Wouldn't it be easier to just give users a choice when importing files? Why restrict my workflow outside of SmugMug?

Thanks, Andy.

Jay
    edited July 4, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    For journal galleries where I've disabled (or redirected) clicking on the photo, I find that the easiest way to access photo tools is to briefly change the gallery style to smugmug.

I can't do that if it's set to journal - the style menu isn't there. headscratch.gif

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I can't do that if it's set to journal - the style menu isn't there. headscratch.gif
    I meant briefly set it to smugmug style in the gallery customisation...
    edited July 5, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    I meant briefly set it to smugmug style in the gallery customisation...

Right - then we're back to the lengthy process that started this thread... :D