Options

Fancy Copter Flying

Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited July 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
These guys must get paid $$$ to do this.

I took some photos today of these guys pulling in new power lines. :bow

324474330_UmFdu-XL.jpg
324474855_7oGUj-XL.jpg
324471235_LW9T6-XL.jpg
Check out the rest of the photos @ http://z06nut.smugmug.com/gallery/5314945_vfwBT#324474330_UmFdu

Comments

• Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Oh wow! Took me a second to realize..

VERY dangerous job, I'd imagine.. eek7.gif
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Are they stringing lines? If so I caught a show on this on Discovery or soemthing like that. Apparently it is safer than the traditional running of lines because they are not grounded while working with the high voltage stuff. clap.gif
  • Options
    Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    fire1035 wrote:
    Are they stringing lines? If so I caught a show on this on Discovery or soemthing like that. Apparently it is safer than the traditional running of lines because they are not grounded while working with the high voltage stuff. clap.gif

They are pulling in the ropes to pull the line in. This is a new service so it's dead.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I can guarantee you that there is nothing safe about this kind of flying. I met three young guys last year that worked as a team, doing this kind of work all over the South. They do earn huge sums of money, but their operational expenses are enornmous and their insurance bill for the year would cause you to faint. They had recently lost two good friends that were doing the same kind of flying. One of the three was seriously considering leaving the business....despite the high pay.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.