Options

Should I put SOMETHING for all portfolio options in pricing?

Unbrok3nUnbrok3n Registered Users Posts: 444 Major grins
edited July 4, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Im trying out the pro account, and love it! I'm just still a little confused about pricing. It seems like it would make sense to fill in all the prices, at least in portfolio mode, just in case someone wants a weird print or a t-shirt. However, I see most people only set prices for a limited number of sizes, and rarely any products. Is there a reason for this? I mean, I'm assuming some of my pics may not look awesome on the huge roll-up prints, is that what they are doing?
Also, when I set up the option for downloading just the file in pricing in portfolio, it doesnt show up in my galleries. Maybe this is just me being stupid.
Anyway, sorry for the stupid newbie questions. And if anyone has ANY tips at all when it comes to pricing and stuff or a link to a thread or something, I would be MUCH abliged :) thanks for struggling through this!
graphic designer/photographer

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Yes. Put $0 if you aren't selling it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yes. Put $0 if you aren't selling it. thumb.gif

I guess I was just wondering why some people dont sell certain stuff...isnt it worth it just in case someone wants it? I was just wondering if I should fill in EVERYTHING in portfolio mode, or how to go about knowing what to fill in or not...
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:
    I guess I was just wondering why some people dont sell certain stuff...isnt it worth it just in case someone wants it? I was just wondering if I should fill in EVERYTHING in portfolio mode, or how to go about knowing what to fill in or not...
    Sometimes it's a simple as limiting the choice of paper. I only have lustre prints enabled on my site, so I've set the matte and glossy prints to $0.

It's your choice though, and it's something you can easily change later.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    But why do you only wanted lustre? (sorry for being so annoying). Wouldnt it be better business to set all prices in case someone wanted just a gloss or something? I guess im just wondering the "whys" of why people ONLY choose certain options to price. In the end it all goes through smugmug right? The seller doesnt have any consequences if he prices a bunch of options...or am I wrong? Thanks for all the input so far!

Sometimes it's a simple as limiting the choice of paper. I only have lustre prints enabled on my site, so I've set the matte and glossy prints to $0.

It's your choice though, and it's something you can easily change later.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    Unbrok3n wrote:
    But why do you only wanted lustre? (sorry for being so annoying). Wouldnt it be better business to set all prices in case someone wanted just a gloss or something? I guess im just wondering the "whys" of why people ONLY choose certain options to price. In the end it all goes through smugmug right? The seller doesnt have any consequences if he prices a bunch of options...or am I wrong? Thanks for all the input so far!
    I ordered prints of all three types so that I could see them in person, and I strongly prefer the lustre prints.

I also believe that most people don't have a clue which to choose, so I chose to make the choice for them. If someone really wants a matte or glossy print they can always email me and ask.

If you wander through other pro's sites, I think that you'll find many that have made that choice - but others that allow all types.

It's really up to you. If you want to offer all of the items, then by all means set prices on all of the items. It's no more work for you (other than setting the prices).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    Cool, thanks for the help!
    I ordered prints of all three types so that I could see them in person, and I strongly prefer the lustre prints.

I also believe that most people don't have a clue which to choose, so I chose to make the choice for them. If someone really wants a matte or glossy print they can always email me and ask.

If you wander through other pro's sites, I think that you'll find many that have made that choice - but others that allow all types.

It's really up to you. If you want to offer all of the items, then by all means set prices on all of the items. It's no more work for you (other than setting the prices).

--- Denise
  • Options
    gundoggundog Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    Also...an edited shot won't always produce a good picture in a larger size. We have some great shots that just won't go better than a certain size. To support Denise's point...limiting is often eaiser for the buyer as well.