Show jumping

pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
edited July 20, 2008 in Sports
Hello sporty people :D

Here's a few shots from a three day show jumping course I was on this week. I rode with the beginner group, and therefore my shots show the more advanced riders.

It was really exciting and lots of fun, even with my aching back (I had just returned from a 5 day blues festival :lol3 ). My group spent half the time practicing our postures and actually jumping the rest. I managed all but one of my fences, the one I failed was the last of a set of three, and the third of a full track of six on the last day. The horse stopped short after a hashed approach, I fell, got back up, started over and made all six - fun!

But I digress, pictures!

1 - Warming up.
325169134_g5rTK-L-1.jpg

2 - Approach
325170707_xdDiS-L-1.jpg

3 - Jump!
325171000_BiWWf-L-1.jpg

4 - Flying over.
325171402_xGjxZ-L-1.jpg

5 - Too close
325172025_Ykm5p-L-1.jpg

And this one from Mini Challenge 6 over in the Challenges:
6 - Oh no, it's in sepia!
324616468_CUF9n-L-1.jpg

I've processed just 13 shots out of 105 good and passable (out of 555 total). I'll post more later :D

Edit: It's later, I've got a huuuge gallery all set up. Here's some more as promised:

7 - Right down the middle
325763639_U33iF-L.jpg

8 - Straight.. ish
325755267_zcEoi-L.jpg

9 - Putting some air in it
325170257_6WyCW-L-1.jpg

10 & 11 - If that was air, this one went into orbit
325763842_Aqmew-L.jpg

325763981_EdxdP-L.jpg

12 - Down to earth again
325763719_WL69e-L.jpg

13 - And canter around to the next...
325641946_aRefF-L.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, C&C please!
Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    I'm not a sporty person and I know nothing about show jumping and good formation, etc. But I think these are very nice photo-wise. I think horses are one of the most beautiful of all animals to photograph. I like the lighting you captured in 1, 2 & 5. Even though the other shots show formation, jumping, etc. I really like the angle and shadows in number 1 and the smile on the rider's face.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    I'm not a sporty person and I know nothing about show jumping and good formation, etc. But I think these are very nice photo-wise. I think horses are one of the most beautiful of all animals to photograph. I like the lighting you captured in 1, 2 & 5. Even though the other shots show formation, jumping, etc. I really like the angle and shadows in number 1 and the smile on the rider's face.

Thank you for the feedback :D

The first is my favorite too. There are too many I've shot square side on, I agree. I'll add a few from other angles when I've the full set ready.

Show jumping is a form of competition at heart. You're supposed to cleanly jump over a given set of fences and other obstacles in a certain amount of time. Dropping poles, refusals etc are awarded penalty points and the rider who makes the least amount of penalties (in the least time if there's a tie) wins.

That's what the competitive stuff is about. For me it's about having fun and getting exercise (lots of it!) - and a very exiting way of learning about horses and riding. There's a lot happening in the 10 meter distance before and after a fence... and we were also jumping doubles and triples! :D

So there, now you know a little bit about show jumping thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 4, 2008
    Show Jumping....
    Hi Pyry,
    Very nice images here mate, you have certainly got the exposures spot on...

My only criticism (if I may) is they are taken from the wrong angle (2,3,4,5,6). Generally, what they would consider saleable (sp?) usually taken at about 45 degrees to the jump so you are looking at the front of the rider. Side shot rarely work and people don't buy them probably because they cannot see their face as well. In saying that show jumping isn't an easy sport to photograph anyway, especially when the riders always wear helmets and the face is mostly difficult to see anyway, so I think you have done considerably well here.
    I like the very slight vignetting as well, was this intentional PP ?

Thanks for sharing,
    Sass
    edited July 4, 2008
    Assassin wrote:
    Hi Pyry,
    Very nice images here mate, you have certainly got the exposures spot on...

My only criticism (if I may) is they are taken from the wrong angle (2,3,4,5,6). Generally, what they would consider saleable (sp?) usually taken at about 45 degrees to the jump so you are looking at the front of the rider. Side shot rarely work and people don't buy them probably because they cannot see their face as well. In saying that show jumping isn't an easy sport to photograph anyway, especially when the riders always wear helmets and the face is mostly difficult to see anyway, so I think you have done considerably well here.
    I like the very slight vignetting as well, was this intentional PP ?

Thanks for sharing,
    Sass

I appreaciate the feedback, thanks :D

These weren't meant for sale anyway, I was just shooting for fun while the other group jumped. I do have some shots from other angles, I'll add some later. I'm not quite sure why I ended up with this many side-on shots for the first batch :D

One problem I had was I couldn't really position meself freely. I was standing in vegetation just outside the field. One thing you don't want to do to a rider is make rusling noises by moving in vegetation or even from your clothes. The horses can easily hit the panic button from that. So I selected a spot, stomped the grass down and stayed put. I also started shooting during the warm up to make sure the horses didn't mind the sound from the camera. They were cool with that (you can actually see the horse listening to the shutter in the first pic, one ear points right at the camera).

The vignetting is intentional, I like to use it for sort of highlighting the subject. My work horse lens, the efs 17-55/2.8, vignets just enough to notice, but I usually put some more in.
    Creativity's hard.

edited July 5, 2008
    I've added a bunch more shots from better angles thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    check out http://www.equinephotographers.org for great information on the correct timing, etc for shooting stuff like this. It's an invaluable resource.
    Michelle
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Really cool and fun shots! I love the smiles and the exposures are perfect

The secret to shooting all things equine is the lens, you can't get the right compression with a wide angle lens as it shows here especially in the first photo with the big head little body syndrom!
    I won't go near a horse with anything other than my 70-200, and not just because it's a kick butt lens, but because the compression is the very least that you need when shooting horses!:D
    edited July 20, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    Really cool and fun shots! I love the smiles and the exposures are perfect

The secret to shooting all things equine is the lens, you can't get the right compression with a wide angle lens as it shows here especially in the first photo with the big head little body syndrom!
    I won't go near a horse with anything other than my 70-200, and not just because it's a kick butt lens, but because the compression is the very least that you need when shooting horses!:D

Thanks!

I think a 70-200 would have been a tad long for the field we were using. I did have my 85 with me and used it for the fences further away. There was no room to back off on the side the Sun was on - so I went with the wide angle and took the perspective in stride :D
    Creativity's hard.