Options

My Favorite Holiday Is...

SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
...the 4th of July.

And what better way to learn to work with the big new bazooka lens than at the annual family get-together at my mom's house, where after stuffing our Selves on a great grilled feast we sit and watch the city's fireworks show from the no-fuss comfort of her driveway. The same way we've done it for the last...oh, let's just say we've done it for a LOT of years.

325461926_V9ms8-L.jpg

325462104_JD8Dj-L.jpg

325462059_YbcVK-L.jpg

What would a fireworks display be without a hell-breaking-loose grand finale?

325462013_WF7f7-L.jpg

Yee-haw!
Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)

Comments

• Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    those are great, i feel like im right in the middle of it all. As I was sitting there watching tonight with my 24-70 they seemed so far away, wishing i had brought the 400 to really get some good detail. what were your settings?
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I like these as well. I would like to see your exif too.

I found myself wanting 2 tripods. One for wide and one for zoom.

Maybe next show.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Thanks! It's definitely a different kind of shooting. :)

We were so close that I stayed at 200mm, ISO 200. All are 0 EV. I always shoot RAW.

#1: 1/25, f5

#2: 1/160, f4

#3: 1/125, f4

#4: 1/50, f4

This is deceptive, though, because the D2Xs allows multiple image layering in-camera so the finale shot (for sure) is a 6-shot composite. I started using the image layering about halfway through the show, so think the first one is a single image, the 2nd and 3rd are 3 layers, and the last one is 6.

In post, I removed all the camera's software display settings, cropped to 8x10, adjusted levels, and ran the smart sharpen at .6px and 200%; then used the plain sharpen filter (fading it if necessary).
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    These are great! I feel like I'm right there in the middle of the explosions! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather