Camera care at the beach

len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited July 10, 2008 in Cameras
I'm taking my dslr to the beach (Santa Monica) tomorrow, how do I take care of my equipment while I'm there and after I get back?
Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    I'm taking my dslr to the beach (Santa Monica) tomorrow, how do I take care of my equipment while I'm there and after I get back?

Don't get it stolen and try to avoid the wind (sand,dust) when changeing lenses. Enjoy thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Don't get it stolen and try to avoid the wind (sand,dust) when changeing lenses. Enjoy thumb.gif

Sounds simple enough.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Depending on what kind it is, try to not get it too wet. When you get home, use a damp cloth with fresh water all over the body to get rid of the salt water.

Use a filter on your lenses. Do not change lenses if you can.

If you are while an White L, lens, do NOT put sun screen on it rolleyes1.gif
    len20 wrote:
    Sounds simple enough.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • ShrewspeaksShrewspeaks Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    Sounds simple enough.

Remember to turn off your camera when switching lenses. This way the sensor is protected.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 5, 2008
    Shrewspeaks,

Welcome to the Digital Grin. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 5, 2008
    len20 wrote:

If you are right at the ocean, there might (probably) be ocean/salt spray. I would take a plastic bag to use for changing lenses as any mist in the inner chamber of the camera is bad news. Of course, you could also change in a car or other protected space.

Filters are a great idea over the front of the lens.

If it's a hot day, you might consider protecting the camera and lenses from the sun when it's not necessary.
    ziggy53
    edited July 5, 2008
    Thank you all for the advice. I was photographing a mother and her two kids. I'm not sure how good I feel about the shots, but I do feel good about how I cared for the camera.
    • I stuck with one general purpose lens (no changing lenses on the beach)
    • I made sure I used a UV filter
    • I put the camera in a cooler when we were done
    • I'll wipe it down tonight
    Thanks everyone!
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    • I put the camera in a cooler when we were done

Thats actualy a bad idea, because you will get condensation
    in- and outside of the cam as soon as you put it back
    into a warm air. Water and circuits don't go well together.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited July 6, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Thats actualy a bad idea, because you will get condensation
    in- and outside of the cam as soon as you put it back
    into a warm air. Water and circuits don't go well together.

I also use a cooler to hold a camera and protect it from the hot sun. A cooler just insulates the contents from the environment. Using one for photographic purposes you don't actually add ice or cold packs. Think of it as a temperature moderating storage device.

I agree that you should not put a camera inside a cooler or ice chest being used to cool food etc.
    ziggy53
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    The scariest thing about the beach (from a camera perspective) is the salt spray, even a miniscule amount of salt water can short circuits much more easily than fresh water, and it also corrodes just about anything (even "stainless" steel is somewhat vulnerable)

Salt will also accumulate on components as the spray evaporates, so make sure to use a damp cloth to carefully clean any exposed surfaces.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Been using my 20D at the beach in all conditions for maybe 3 years. I dont clean it when i get home (other than the salt from the front of the lens) & change lenses at will. It still works fine. I will turn away from wind/spray & cover things with my body if i do change lenses in a decent wind though.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Been using my 20D at the beach in all conditions for maybe 3 years. I dont clean it when i get home (other than the salt from the front of the lens) & change lenses at will. It still works fine. I will turn away from wind/spray & cover things with my body if i do change lenses in a decent wind though.

But he's got a new shiny 40D mwink.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I am a bit late.....but next time......and since you must live near a beach, there will be a next time.....take a small trash bag (12-20 gallon) and cut off one corner just enough that your lens will fit thru ....attach to lens with a rubber band.....now cam and lens are protected from any spray.....there are rain jackets available but I have been using this method so I can shoot in mild rain storms for many many years......even with my old film cameras.

If you use a large trash bag , say ohhhhh, 30 gallon, you can dang near crawl in with camera nd lens and keep your head dry also......when I know I will be using a large bag I use the black ones so it doesn't interfere with my eyes..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Remember to turn off your camera when switching lenses. This way the sensor is protected.

????
    This makes no inherent sense. There is some thought that with the camera on the sensor may have a charge that can attract dust. I suspect there is an element of truth to this thought, although I have not seen it myself. I doubt it would have any effect at a windy beach where we are dealing with salt and sand. Otherwise the sensor has the same protection if the camera is on or off. The uv and pass filter are permanent. The shutter and mirror are down unless the shutter is fired. So I would agree that we should not put the shutter on bulb and wave a lenless camera around at the beach- but turning it off during a lens change does little/nothing to protect the shutter from salt spray and sand.

I just use common sense, and limit lens changes if I can at the beach. Once home I first use a brush to get the sand off of everything- it comes off better dry. Then use a damp cloth to wipe down everything on the body and lens. Your work is now less than 1/2 done. Attack your camera bag! Get every grain of sand and grit off the bag and out of the interior. That means pulling out any inserts, opening up every pocket and cleaning everywhere. If I don't do this well- I end up with sand on equipment days later. A clean bag is the secret. Do this once in a while even if you don't go to the beach- dirt in the bag ends up in my camera one way or another.

Cameras at the beach for 20 years and never a problem- except that one time when I found out cameras do not float.
    Gary
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    gus wrote:

Kind of my thoughts. All the measures mentioned seem a bit overkill to me. While I didn't have my camera out all day this year--only went out later to catch the fireworks show (WAY too crowded during the day), I did nothing special beyond general common sense. Swapped lenses, took shots at water's edge, no special cleaning & the camera is fine. Just my 0.02.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I don't do anything special when I am using the camera, other than make sure to use my neck strap, since the #1 RULE of using the camera at the beach is: DON'T DROP IT.

I put my camera in my kayaking dry bag, and then into my camera bag when I am not using it, that way it is fully protected from spray, water and sand...even if I drop it.
  • ShrewspeaksShrewspeaks Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    gchappel wrote:
    ????
    This makes no inherent sense. There is some thought that with the camera on the sensor may have a charge that can attract dust. I suspect there is an element of truth to this thought, although I have not seen it myself. I doubt it would have any effect at a windy beach where we are dealing with salt and sand. Otherwise the sensor has the same protection if the camera is on or off. The uv and pass filter are permanent. The shutter and mirror are down unless the shutter is fired. So I would agree that we should not put the shutter on bulb and wave a lenless camera around at the beach- but turning it off during a lens change does little/nothing to protect the shutter from salt spray and sand.

I just use common sense, and limit lens changes if I can at the beach. Once home I first use a brush to get the sand off of everything- it comes off better dry. Then use a damp cloth to wipe down everything on the body and lens. Your work is now less than 1/2 done. Attack your camera bag! Get every grain of sand and grit off the bag and out of the interior. That means pulling out any inserts, opening up every pocket and cleaning everywhere. If I don't do this well- I end up with sand on equipment days later. A clean bag is the secret. Do this once in a while even if you don't go to the beach- dirt in the bag ends up in my camera one way or another.

Cameras at the beach for 20 years and never a problem- except that one time when I found out cameras do not float.
    Gary

Hey Gary:
    I just know that Canon and Scott Kelby recc shutting off the camera before changing lenses to minimize exposure of the sensor. I guess it's kinda like wearing a seat belt. Driving my car won't cause me to have an accident, but if I do...I took precaution to protect myself.
  • gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Hey Gary:
    I just know that Canon and Scott Kelby recc shutting off the camera before changing lenses to minimize exposure of the sensor. I guess it's kinda like wearing a seat belt. Driving my car won't cause me to have an accident, but if I do...I took precaution to protect myself.

I agree the manuals recommend turning the camera off. Nikon recommended that with their film cameras as well- no sensors to protect there. Reasons- have been discussed at length and without any real conclusions. VR lenses do like to be shut down before removal-fact. The dust issues due to charge seem to be urban legend, but have been argued at length. But no, I don't think it actually "protects" your sensor. By the way, I do turn my cameras off before changing lenses- but that is habit. I am unaware of any actual data that says it protects the sensor in any way.
    Shoot and shoot more.
    Gary
  • XooteXoote Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2008
    Good idea thanks.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you are right at the ocean, there might (probably) be ocean/salt spray. I would take a plastic bag to use for changing lenses as any mist in the inner chamber of the camera is bad news. Of course, you could also change in a car or other protected space.

Filters are a great idea over the front of the lens.

If it's a hot day, you might consider protecting the camera and lenses from the sun when it's not necessary.
    edited July 10, 2008
    sample from the shoot
    329090019_YBWfm-M.jpg

I posted a few more over in the people forum.