Options

Which white balence?

erson83erson83 Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited July 11, 2008 in Technique
So I'm outside with a high sun and a fill flash...Which White balence do we go to? Flash or sunny. I know in Raw it doesn't really matter, but just wonderin

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    erson83 wrote:
    So I'm outside with a high sun and a fill flash...Which White balence do we go to? Flash or sunny. I know in Raw it doesn't really matter, but just wonderin

I don't think there is a big difference between the two. Try both and compare.

you are right about shooting RAW. It sure solves a lot of problems!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    erson83 wrote:
    You're right, when shooting RAW it doesn't matter. What matters is that you have some way to determine what is neutral when it comes time to do the post processing.

I like to take along a WhiBal card, shoot a frame with that in it for WB purposes at post production time.

And, like Josh said, I don't think there's much difference. I know my flashes come in around 5300 degrees K which, I understand, is about what clear sunshine at noon is said to be.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 5, 2008
    Shooting Fill flash at noon, balance for Sunlight, or AWB.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Flashes are meant to approximate daylight I believe. It's the early sunrise and sunset where you get color casts. Although Sunset lighting is BEAUTIFUL.

For example. This was a shot form a local 4th of July celebration. It was about 8:30 in the evening, the sun was about "a foot" from the treeline, and in addition, there was a mass of Tungsten lights over head. No matter where I shot, daylight just wasn't working. But strangely, at dusk, Tungsten worked VERY well. The sunlight highlights were still warm, while the ambient area was more of a steely blue. I love this shot and was very bitter it ran in black and white.

Original

329461231_t6MgJ-L.jpg

Edit (a little blue temp in Raw, some contrast, saturation, and other edits)
    329463502_6ciDq-L.jpg

Not that that had anything to do with flash :D
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    erson83 wrote:

when in doubt, go custom. :D ed pierce's photovision calibration targets are probably the best, IMO.

digital_targets.png
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto