Sharegroups for Friends and Family Photos.

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited July 5, 2008 in SmugMug Support
This post is actually directed to Andy - because I have read the he uses sharegroups and vanity urls to give access to family and friend galleries.

My questions:

1. I have read that Andy has LOTS of family and friend galleries. So do I. With a sharegroup, they are all going to be clumped into one page. How does that work for you Andy? I'm reluctant to do that as I've got things nicely broken down by year right now. Is this where you use vanity urls? If so, how?

2. Do your friends and family get annoyed that they can't just go to www.moonriverphotography.com and find the gallery/photos of Christimas 2007?

3. Do you bother customizing your sharegroup page? (I don't see anything in your CSS)

4. Any advice on sharegroup workflow?

5. Is there an FAQ or turorial on this that I don't know about?

I need to do my research before I make such a big change. Traditionally my site has catered to my No1 audience - my friends and family --- but as I pick up more and more clients, I want to gear my site towards a more professional layout. But I can't upset Grandma!!!

Cheers,

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Oakley wrote:

1. I have read that Andy has LOTS of family and friend galleries. So do I. With a sharegroup, they are all going to be clumped into one page. How does that work for you Andy? I'm reluctant to do that as I've got things nicely broken down by year right now. Is this where you use vanity urls? If so, how?
    I don't but you could. I also don't break down by year, I let exif and SmugMug's timeline do that

2. Do your friends and family get annoyed that they can't just go to www.moonriverphotography.com and find the gallery/photos of Christimas 2007?
    3. Do you bother customizing your sharegroup page? (I don't see anything in your CSS)
    Nope, and typically I just share a sharegroup, standard SmugMug Gradient gallery thumb.gif

4. Any advice on sharegroup workflow?

5. Is there an FAQ or turorial on this that I don't know about?
    No, and I don't think so, other than our help pages. I think you're over thinking this :D Why not set up a few galleries and try it out? :D Ask q's we'll be here.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Oakley wrote:
    ..I'm reluctant to do that as I've got things nicely broken down by year right now. Is this where you use vanity urls? If so, how?
    If you're adventurous you can try something like on this page.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I don't but you could. I also don't break down by year, I let exif and SmugMug's timeline do that

Thanks for the response Andy. I didn't realize you could you timeline to sort through galleries and photos in a password protected sharegroup. Does that mean keywords will work as well??

headscratch.gif
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]