Options

Stop Action Photography

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited April 18, 2005 in Holy Macro
http://photography.brilliantphoton.com/gallery/449917/1/18131235

This shot was taken with the shutter held open on an olympus E-1 in a completely dark room. An FL-50 flash unit was triggered by a push-button switch mounted under the base of the light bulb. When the hammer struck the bulb, the button tripped the wire, and fired the strobe.

Enjoy.
-winn

Comments

• Options
    MichelePMicheleP Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2005
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 17, 2005
    Seems we have another Doc Edgerton fan here. :D

http://web.mit.edu/edgerton/main.html

I cool shot - I like it best out of that whole gallery thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    http://photography.brilliantphoton.com/gallery/449917/1/18131235

This shot was taken with the shutter held open on an olympus E-1 in a completely dark room. An FL-50 flash unit was triggered by a push-button switch mounted under the base of the light bulb. When the hammer struck the bulb, the button tripped the wire, and fired the strobe.

Enjoy.
    -winn

very cool - i like your technique. I see you have some earlier experiments in the gallery also...
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    neet stuff, but it looks messy... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    I've never done these but have always been a big Edgerton fan. I've always wanted to try. Messy, but not as dangerous as the one with bullets.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    The photographs are addictive.

I liked the landscapes. I related to the one of Colorado Springs which has grown considerably since I went to school there.

I went to Colorado College, too, but back in the fifties. It was a pleasant small town. I left after two years to have children, husbands, etc. Finally graduated a bit further from Colorado in Charleston, South Carolina in 1985.

That is a fantastic photo of the lightening......it is to me, I love lightening like that. I have seen that kind of display over the ocean, out of this world.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    I like the second one best!

Feeling a bit destructive??
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited April 18, 2005
    MicheleP wrote:
    Very cool !! Michele
    Thanks, Michele -w
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Seems we have another Doc Edgerton fan here. :D

http://web.mit.edu/edgerton/main.html

I cool shot - I like it best out of that whole gallery thumb.gif
    Thanks, DoctorIt. I am a big Edgerton fan. It is quite amazing what he was able to accomplish, especially so early on in electronics and photography. -w
    Phil U. wrote:
    very cool - i like your technique. I see you have some earlier experiments in the gallery also...
    Yes, there are lots of ways of taking high speed shots. I'd like to try them all. -w
    GREAPER wrote:
    neet stuff, but it looks messy... ne_nau.gif
    Yes, it gets quite messy. It helps to have a basement you don't care about at all and a good system for minimizing the amount of glass that gets tracked around the house. -w
    rutt wrote:
    I've never done these but have always been a big Edgerton fan. I've always wanted to try. Messy, but not as dangerous as the one with bullets.
    I tried shooting a playing card lengthwise (my favorite edgerton shot), but the bb wasn't even close to powerful enough. Maybe someday... -w
    ginger_55 wrote:
    The photographs are addictive.

I liked the landscapes. I related to the one of Colorado Springs which has grown considerably since I went to school there.

I went to Colorado College, too, but back in the fifties. It was a pleasant small town. I left after two years to have children, husbands, etc. Finally graduated a bit further from Colorado in Charleston, South Carolina in 1985.

That is a fantastic photo of the lightening......it is to me, I love lightening like that. I have seen that kind of display over the ocean, out of this world.

ginger
    Thank you so much ginger for your kind words. It makes me very happy to hear that you are enjoying my photos. Colorado College is certainly a wonderful place. I wish I could have seen it when the Springs was still a small town. Charleston is also a very special place. I'd like to get to know it better. -w
    T4Tots wrote:
    I like the second one best!

Feeling a bit destructive??
    Thanks; I'm glad you like it. Destructive??? I like to think of it as creative! -w