A couple b/w conversions

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited July 8, 2008 in People
I took these yesterday at a 4th pool party in New Hampshire and I liked the B/W so I went with it. C&C welcome.
326801060_oPiQd-L.jpg

327269394_WPRmG-L.jpg

326828736_vuqTS-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    These are cute!
    Did you ran some type of noise reduction on the first one? Her face looks like it was cut out or something, compare to her clothing, which look sharp ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    These are cute!
    Did you ran some type of noise reduction on the first one? Her face looks like it was cut out or something, compare to her clothing, which look sharp ne_nau.gif

EDIT: I reprocessed #1 to get rid of the noise filter issue.

Thanks ShepsMom. I did run NeatImage noise reduction....I noticed the edges after posting this one. I'm going to give it another shot and repost #1.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Hey Randy!

Nicely done!! BTW there is a colored strip along the bottom of #1....which is also my favorite. I think more DOF in #2 may have sharpened her entire eye area improving that one. It appears as if only the tips of her lashes are sharp?

Anyway...what a cutey!!
    edited July 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hey Randy!

Nicely done!! BTW there is a colored strip along the bottom of #1....which is also my favorite. I think more DOF in #2 may have sharpened her entire eye area improving that one. It appears as if only the tips of her lashes are sharp?

Anyway...what a cutey!!

Thanks Jeff for the heads up and the kind words. The DOF issue was probably due to too many glasses of wine lol. I'll fix the color strip and repost. Thanks again.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Hey man. First of all, very cute kid and nice shots.

But.

Apparently you went for the normal desaturation in Photoshop, which gave you a washed out look, or did you intend that? However, if you didn't mean to do so, then you'd better go with either picking up a channel and curving it, or a black & white adjustment layer.

Hope that helps.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Randy,

Nice captures, but I thought they are a little dark, and flat. How is your monitor? I did a tweak or two, and this seems to look pretty good on my monitor.

Sam
    edited July 6, 2008
    Vysionous wrote:
    Hey man. First of all, very cute kid and nice shots.

But.

Apparently you went for the normal desaturation in Photoshop, which gave you a washed out look, or did you intend that? However, if you didn't mean to do so, then you'd better go with either picking up a channel and curving it, or a black & white adjustment layer.

Hope that helps.

Thanks...I did use the default desaturation. I wasn't aware that there were differences in the results of the various approaches. I'll definitely retry using other approach because I prefer not to have the washed out look. Thanks again.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited July 6, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Randy,

Nice captures, but I thought they are a little dark, and flat. How is your monitor? I did a tweak or two, and this seems to look pretty good on my monitor.

Sam

Wow Sam that's a great improvement. I ran desaturation and then an unsharpen mask 150/4/10 settings, and actually it dawned on me that I did this mod on my laptop and not on my desktop with the nice LG monitor so that may be part of it. What tweaks did you do to achieve such great clarity? That's a huge improvement and I'm excited to learn more! :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited July 6, 2008
    Yep, thats what I'm talking about, Randy thumb.gifthumb.gif
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

edited July 6, 2008
    Vysionous wrote:
    Yep, thats what I'm talking about, Randy thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks V. I've reposted all three now. like this result much better even though 3 is still a bit blurry.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited July 6, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Thanks V. I've reposted all three now. like this result much better even though 3 is still a bit blurry.

For the third image, try to apply a smart blur with a setting of motion blur in the opposite direction to the blur in the image. Give that a shot.

• cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I like #1 and 2. #3 is out of focus a bit for me. #2 is the real stunner though.
    edited July 7, 2008
    I like #1 and 2. #3 is out of focus a bit for me. #2 is the real stunner though.

Thanks cmo! Yes that is one of my complaints about #2 though I love the expression.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited July 7, 2008
    Vysionous wrote:
    For the third image, try to apply a smart blur with a setting of motion blur in the opposite direction to the blur in the image. Give that a shot.

Hey Vysionous: I'll definitely give it a shot and ping you to let you see the results. Thanks for all of your thoughtful insight and suggestions.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

edited July 8, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Hey Vysionous: I'll definitely give it a shot and ping you to let you see the results. Thanks for all of your thoughtful insight and suggestions.

Sorry I meant a Smart Sharpen.