Nikon D80 or D200--which one???

reedflutesongreedflutesong Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited July 5, 2008 in Cameras
I currently own a D70 and am thinking of an upgrade to either a D80 or D200 as these two are the best fit for my current budget.

Anyone have comparison for those two cameras or even better all three

Pros, cons of each?

Comments

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I currently own a D70 and am thinking of an upgrade to either a D80 or D200 as these two are the best fit for my current budget.

Anyone have comparison for those two cameras or even better all three

Pros, cons of each?

I have never used the D80 but I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I chose the D200, and love it. It feels a lot better and it has many dedicated buttons, so changing settings is quick and easy. wings.gif
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    What kind of shooting you do? and what kind of abuse do you put your cameras through?

It's the same sensor, for the 80 and the 200.

the d80 will feel just like the 70 which is good since that's where you're used to.

The D200 will meter with manual focus lenses (big selling point with me at least) is more durable, more direct function buttons (you don't have to go to many is as much to change settings). But you lose your scene modes, if you use them. There are other little bits that are better with the 200 but honestly if you haven't had any problems with the 70. The 80 probably would be your best bet, and you have a few hundred more for a nice glassdeal.gif
  • reedflutesongreedflutesong Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2008
    What kind of shooting you do? and what kind of abuse do you put your cameras through?

I

Cameras get minimal abuse, lots of at home kids shots and some hiking shots although I am no great climber so not cliff hanging with camera in hand.

I am having trouble locating a used D80 so I began also looking at D200.

Still learning photography (baby shooter here) but appreciate a good piece of equiptment and hate to keep outgrowing things, oh the stress of upgrades
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Cameras get minimal abuse, lots of at home kids shots and some hiking shots although I am no great climber so not cliff hanging with camera in hand.

I am having trouble locating a used D80 so I began also looking at D200.

Still learning photography (baby shooter here) but appreciate a good piece of equiptment and hate to keep outgrowing things, oh the stress of upgrades

The d80 will basically give you more margin of error when framing a shot, since you can crop out different compositions while having enough resolution.

As for outgrowing, I don't think there's any risk of that with such a great camera (the d80). Each upgrade gives you a few more features, but if you learn the skills/techniques of shooting you will be able to get even more out of the new camera. Now that I think about it I think the biggest question is, what specific things are you upgrading for?
  • reedflutesongreedflutesong Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 5, 2008
    Mostly I am switching cameras because I have had multiple issues with the camera not reading the card properly. I recently had it fully repaired and serviced but am just not trusting it fully. Figure the D70 will make a fine extra but not primary camera at this point. Since I am starting over looking figured I would look up.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    I know it's not in the budget, but I would suggest saving up for the D300. I took the plunge from a faltering D50 and bought a D300. I was looking at the D80 and D200, but I decided to skip them. I am glad I didn't buy a D80 or D200 just because they wer what I could afford at the time.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    If you can get a D200 with a relatively low number of shutter actuations, you may want to go for it since they are selling so cheap used. Otherwise, the D80 will be a nice step up from the D70.