I should know this but I don't!!!

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited July 6, 2008 in Cameras
I use a Canon 30D... needs to go in to be clean majorly and thinking about taking the plundge on a 5D before the sale is over...
Why would the lenses for the 30D not work for the 5D (I do know the 30D is a 1:1.6 and the 5D is a 1:1). Would that be the reason?
Thanks... and be well...
Ara & Spirit
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 5, 2008
    Hi Ara,

The Canon 30D has a much smaller sensor and can use EF-S lenses which project a smaller image circle.

The 30D can also use EF lenses which were designed for use on full-frame 35mm cameras like the 5D. The EF lenses will have a different (reduced) field-of-view/angle-of-view on the crop cameras, and that's where the correction "crop factor" comes in.

The 5D in particular has a very large reflex mirror which will hit the rear element of EF-S lenses and Canon has made the EF-S lenses with an extra bit on the back end so they will not even mount on the 5D unless they are altered, which is not a good idea.

Sigma and Tamron "digital" lenses, which are designed for use on digital "crop" 1.5/1.6 cameras, can generally be mounted without problem on the Canon full-frame cameras except for the smaller image circle (which means they will not fill the image frame.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Ah!... of course... I was looking at lenses, so for the 5D they are called USM? or is it the difference terminology EF and EF-S? (S for small?).
    So the 30D CAN use a lens that a 5D uses, but the 5D cannot use a lens that the 30D uses? I do understand the "crop factor" (a 28mm on a 5D will be close to a 17mm on a 30D?)
    I hope I am not confusing you and myself!!!
    I really appreciate the info...
    Ara
    edited July 5, 2008
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Ah!... of course... I was looking at lenses, so for the 5D they are called USM? or is it the difference terminology EF and EF-S? (S for small?).
    So the 30D CAN use a lens that a 5D uses, but the 5D cannot use a lens that the 30D uses? I do understand the "crop factor" (a 28mm on a 5D will be close to a 17mm on a 30D?)
    I hope I am not confusing you and myself!!!
    I really appreciate the info...
    Ara

The 30D can use both EF and EF-S lenses. The 5D can only use EF lenses.

USM is a focus motor technology and it has 2 forms. Only the "Ring USM" has enough distinct advantage to be considered a serious advantage over the other motor technologies (with a couple of exceptions.)

The field of view of a 28mm lens on a 5D will be similar to the field of view of a 17mm lens on a 30D.
    ziggy53
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Thank you very much... you have been a big help...

319144180_HeAoY-M.jpg

Spirit "Thanks you also"...

Be well... Ara & Spirit
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    A lot of times you can put an EF-S/DX zoom on an EF/FX body and still use it, just not at the low and high ends of the focal lengths.
    edited July 6, 2008
    A lot of times you can put an EF-S/DX zoom on an EF/FX body and still use it, just not at the low and high ends of the focal lengths.

Unfortunately, as I said above, Canon EF-S lenses cannot be mounted onto either full-frame Canon cameras (1Ds series and the 5D) or the crop 1.3x cameras (1D series).

The "S" designation of the "EF-S" label refers to a "short back focus" which, in Canon speak, means the lens was designed with a less than normal distance from the rear element to the focal plane. This means the rear element will actually hit the main mirror of a full frame camera as it swings out of the way during the exposure. The EF-S lenses also have a special mount design which prevents their use on the Canon professional series cameras and the prosumer 5D.

I believe you are correct that most of the Nikon DX lenses, designed for crop frame Nikon cameras, will at least mount on the Nikon full-frame camera bodies without fear for damage. This is because the Nikon DX lenses were designed with a normal back focus distance.

I believe that both the Nikon D3 and D700 will even automatically crop to the DX image size when a DX lens is mounted (with a reduced resolution versus the full frame).
    ziggy53
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    OK, I wasn't sure about the Canon. A DX lens on a film body will work at the middle of the focal length range. As you said, a D3 or D700 will automatically crop for it.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Call me smarty pants but they can also use MP-E and TS-E lenses mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston