Options

gallery statistics are hopeless

eyeDutcheyeDutch Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited September 26, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Okay, I'm completely unable to see which gallery has generated most of the hits to my site unless I spend about 5 minutes going through the whole statistics page and remember dozens of numbers, which is a waste of time and not a lot of fun. How am I supposed to see what's the highest ranking gallery within a second of my time?

Also, there isn't a lot of information that can actually be seen, such as "where are my visitors coming from?" and "what search strings have people entered before being refered from some search engine?", "what browser/OS do people use?", etc. You can get an amazing amount of information from webserver logs that I don't see used here. Tools like Google Analytics can not get to those logs, either, so this really needs to be done on the Smugmug side.

Can there be some better representation of the gallery statistics please? http://www.nltechno.com/awstats/awstats.pl?config=destailleur.fr is a good start to look at how this might be achieved.

And please don't say "sorry, we don't have it, 'end of story'" again :-P

-- Paul

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    eyeDutch wrote:
    And please don't say "sorry, we don't have it, 'end of story'" again :-P

-- Paul
    Paul, have you tried the excellent and free, google analytics and Statcounter?

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684

And yes, we don't have what you want right now. We do have a feature request thread, sticky in this forum, where suggestions like this should go, thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092684

And yes, we don't have what you want right now. We do have a feature request thread, sticky in this forum, where suggestions like this should go, thanks thumb.gif

Don't try StatCounter - it's busted with Smugmug and only records full page loads, not each image viewed. It used to work great, but isn't very compatible with Smugmug now.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Yeah I already use both Google Analytics and Statcounter but neither of those give me anywhere close to the statistics that I really want to see such as what AWStats offers based on server logs. All this fantastic information is being generated but not presented to the users right now and I find that a waste :/

I realise that it should go in that feature request thread, but I find its size a bit too daunting to go in and see if it's already in there already.

-- Paul
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Maybe I don't understand the issue but I just checked my StatCounter stats and they are showing individual photos loaded. In fact, instead of photo numbers they are showing the captions.

So maybe it's fixed?ne_nau.gif
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 6, 2008
    Maybe I don't understand the issue but I just checked my StatCounter stats and they are showing individual photos loaded. In fact, instead of photo numbers they are showing the captions.

depends what version of the statcounter code you're running. You'll get individual photo hits with the previous statcounter code, but not their latest.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    depends what version of the statcounter code you're running. You'll get individual photo hits with the previous statcounter code, but not their latest.

Correct.

My oldest Statcounter installation works on my oldest Smugmug account works and shows individual image clicks.

The new Statcounter project on a new Smugmug acount that I just installed for a non-profit that I'm helping out doesn't work. It might be possible to figure out how to use the old code with a new Statcounter project to make it all work, but I don't have time now for that sort of hacking and was hoping it would just work.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Great ... please remind me to not update my StatCounter code ... :giggle
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008

Even if that's so, there's a limitation of 500 hits or something on the free version of Statcounter which doesn't scale, so it would be swell if we didn't have to resort to something external for nicer stats. -- Paul
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    eyeDutch wrote:
    Even if that's so, there's a limitation of 500 hits or something on the free version of Statcounter which doesn't scale, so it would be swell if we didn't have to resort to something external for nicer stats. -- Paul

Paul - Google Analytics - totally free. Very powerful. Please use it deal.gif
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy,

I just added it to my page. How do i access it now to see the result?

Christine
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    TCS wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I just added it to my page. How do i access it now to see the result?

Christine
    Hi Christine, you'll do that via your google analytics account.
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Christine, you'll do that via your google analytics account.

thanks, I will give it some time.
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Correct.

My oldest Statcounter installation works on my oldest Smugmug account works and shows individual image clicks.

The new Statcounter project on a new Smugmug acount that I just installed for a non-profit that I'm helping out doesn't work. It might be possible to figure out how to use the old code with a new Statcounter project to make it all work, but I don't have time now for that sort of hacking and was hoping it would just work.

jfriend,

Can you please post the Statcounter code (minus your key obviously) that works with individual clicks?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    jfriend,

Can you please post the Statcounter code (minus your key obviously) that works with individual clicks?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Pssst - go to his (or any) website and "view source" with your browser. Then ctrl-f or apple-f (find) "statcounter"
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Just tried statcounter this week and couldn't get it to work - will try google analytics now.

Also, I do love the SM graph / traffic page - wouldn't it be super easy for SM to add a quick click "sort graphs from most hits to least hits", "sort graphs from highest conversion rate to lowest conversion rate", etc.?

I just would think that would be easy to add, but I'm not a programmer.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    durenduren Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Again, that isn't the final word, Andy. Paul is right. There are even some SIMPLE things that Smugmug can do (in my limited view of things). One of them is to simply give the Smugmug statistics viewer the option to sort according to most viewed; most viewed by gallery and most viewed by individual image. There. That would be a good start. And is that SUPER challenging to write the code for?

Please, guys.

- bob