Options

Retail/Wholesale Pricing

gundoggundog Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Has there been previous discussion/thoughts/plans for offering prints or merchandise to Pro User's at a lessor cost (wholesale) than Joe Blow at a higher price (retail) pays when coming to smugmug?

Our mark-ups are pretty transparent and we all seem to pay retail (admittedly good prices) whether you order 1 mousepad a year or pump 2-3K through the system.

Not a complaint! Smug offers a lot for the Pro User amenities...just trying to look long term (commercially) and not use to dealing with such publicly available margins.

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 6, 2008
    our costs from SM would be considered wholesale, no?

you can set sales (retail) prices to your clients at any level you wish.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    our costs from SM would be considered wholesale, no?

you can set sales (retail) prices to your clients at any level you wish.

ne_nau.gif

Thanks Angelo. Yes..we can set item pricing but the buyer is just a click away from seeing the wholesale price if clicking the smugmug link directly. This has caused some confusion already on pricing.

While on my site they see an 8x10 photo for $20.00 but if they click the smugmug link they see pricing (not for my photo but in general) for $2.99.

Folks clicking around don't always undersatnd the difference - they're not smugmuggers. I am not sure why out costs as Pro Users are so available to anyone who visits our site and can easily click to a wholesale pricing page?

Someone is on my page and clicks Smugmug on the footer:
    SmugmugFrontPage-1.jpg

And is then directed to a wholesale price listing:
    SmugmugPrice.jpg
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Link to THIS page instead. It doesn't have pricing info; just the products.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 7, 2008
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Link to THIS page instead. It doesn't have pricing info; just the products.

EDIT: Thanks David...I was able to use that link - appreciate it very much. Not sure why that isn't a DEFAULT?

Do I remember correctly we 'have' to leave that link in the footer? Yet more confusion IMHO as people see Photobooks, fotoflocks (things we can't build and resell like other items with our shopping carts) or other items we may choose not to sell?
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    gundog wrote:
    EDIT: Thanks David...I was able to use that link - appreciate it very much. Not sure why that isn't a DEFAULT?

Do I remember correctly we 'have' to leave that link in the footer? Yet more confusion IMHO as people see Photobooks, fotoflocks (things we can't build and resell like other items with our shopping carts) or other items we may choose not to sell?
    What I've done in the past is create a new page inside of your own account using the smugmug page as a template and build off that. That way, you have your OWN prices, and your OWN products, but, still the nice layout of the smugmug page.

It's more complex, but what *I* would do :)

David