Options

GIMP2 versus Photoshop?

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited July 6, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
So OK... do not laugh! I have just always used very little modifications to my photos. I have been reading about layers, still do not understand it but I saw these incredble photos by Josephine and thinking it would be fun... Digital Manipulation!
I have GIMP2, I play around with the curves and the simple stuff... Do you think Photoshop is better? and if so, which one?
There is a local Photgrapher here in Escalante (Utah) where we will be for a bit and I might have him teach me how to use layers with either software...
Funny as I have been with SmugMug since 2004 and just getting into all this... a bit thick in the brain however my comprehension reading about it is near null!
Loving this Forum more and more!

Be well... thanks for the help...
Ara & Spirit
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 6, 2008
    A fellow rider - R 1150GS and an ST1300.clap.gif

The images on the link you posted are extremely lovely, but they did not come out of the camera like that - they have been edited, some heavily, in an image editing program, quite possibly Photoshop, as that is far and away the software most used for serious image editing.

Is Photoshop better, or worse than Gimp? Depends on your criteria I am sure. On the basis of price it is hard to beat Gimp.

But on the basis of power and options, Photoshop will win hands down to most of us, and when I say Photoshop, I mean Photoshop CS3. It's capabilities are so superior to CS2 or previous versions, I would not even consider them. I have CS2 also on my machines and never even open it any more.

The tools included in CS3, particularly in Adobe RAW converter are awesome. I wrote about that recently here
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Ah yes, the age old question. Which software is right for me?

First off, let me say that I am a GIMP user myself. The real question I think you are asking is, "Is it worth it for me to pay for Photoshop, or should I just use the GIMP?" That really depends. They both have steep learning curves. That is to say, it will take quite a bit of time and effort to fully understand what you can do with it and how to use the software to its fullest potential.

Photoshop is the more powerful piece of software, hands down. But an Indy car is more powerful than a four door sedan. Both will get you places, but you might not need all that power.

If you are really just doing standard sorts of things, rotating, croping, some basic curves, contrast and what not, then the GIMP will get you there. If you find out a few months down the road that it isn't cutting it for you, you can always go on to Photoshop.

Just like photography hardware, if it is holding you back, it may be time to upgrade.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Hi Pathfinder and Aaron.
    Great replies and you hit it on the nose Aaron... their is definitely a cost factor of it in my Life right now! I really cannot add to what you are writing as it is very clear. I post a lot of pictures on my Blog, some are not good as they are more to document where we have been and what there is to see, I think if I started fooling around much I will be in front of the screen too many hours! I do try (!!!) to take good ones as much as I can, mornings and evenings specially and that is it... So yes, I will wait a while and see how it goes, but at least thanks to you both I know where I stand...
    You be well... Ara & Spirit

* sounds like you have the best of both worlds Pathfinder! Safe riding... come by and see us! You will need the GS...:D
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    Ara, I did not realize your other passion.

If I am ever in Naples, I will be sure to have to savor your creations. Cheers!

Sounds like Gimp or Lightroom might meet your requirements very nicely.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ara, I did not realize your other passion.

If I am ever in Naples, I will be sure to have to savor your creations. Cheers!

Sounds like Gimp or Lightroom might meet your requirements very nicely.

I did not either!!!...
    Naples???... Oh! We have been on the road about 2 years now Pathfinder...
    You can always find us through the website... Archives also! Will cook you dinner when you do!

Be well... might be years before we go back to Naples...

Ara & Spirit
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    My mistake, but Escalante is so much better than Naples from my perspective. Better roads and fewer crowds.

I have wanted to do the Burr Trial so many times. We may meet up yet. I'll bookmark your link.

65435523_FAeCy-M.jpg

I am sure you will recognize this establishment then

72499767_5gqAZ-L.jpg

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 6, 2008
    I use to be a heavy GIMP user, but converted to Photoshop when I started to play with more advanced stuff like LAB, which GIMP couldn't do at the time (not sure if it can yet)

I'm a big advocate of open source stuff, and would probably convert back once the support for LAB was there.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Ara,

I've never been disappointed with the photos you've posted here, on your blog or over on ADV, so my first reaction is hey, if it's not broke don't mess with it. But we all love to find a new toy to play with, don't we? mwink.gif

Though I'm a PS user myself, I'd suggest you start by finding that Escalante local and have 'em show you adjustment layers and then gradient masks in whatever tool they're comfortable with - better if it's GIMP but if they only know PS at least you'll get the idea - and then see if you can adapt that knowledge to the tool you already know.

You may find that you run into limitations and want to move to PS at some point, but I'd think that would be better than spending the time and money only to find that "gee, I could'a had a V8"... um, I mean "gee, I could've done all this with The GIMP." You can buy a lot of doggie biscuits for the cost of PS.

peace,
    PirateT7
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2008
    StevenV wrote:
    Ara,

I've never been disappointed with the photos you've posted here, on your blog or over on ADV, so my first reaction is hey, if it's not broke don't mess with it. But we all love to find a new toy to play with, don't we? mwink.gif

Though I'm a PS user myself, I'd suggest you start by finding that Escalante local and have 'em show you adjustment layers and then gradient masks in whatever tool they're comfortable with - better if it's GIMP but if they only know PS at least you'll get the idea - and then see if you can adapt that knowledge to the tool you already know.

You may find that you run into limitations and want to move to PS at some point, but I'd think that would be better than spending the time and money only to find that "gee, I could'a had a V8"... um, I mean "gee, I could've done all this with The GIMP." You can buy a lot of doggie biscuits for the cost of PS.

peace,
    PirateT7

Very wise... and thanks for the kind words. You know, time is a factor! Believe it or not "living on the road" does not leave much time... besides riding... hiking... Spirit's time... cooking... and much reading. I have not watched Tv in about 30 years and I thought I would watch movies now! One in two years!!! What happens is that I start browsing others Galleries... and start really disliking my Photos... but going the avenue for me where I would start manipulating everyone would be an endless task, my path is more the patience factor to take better pictures. It feels better to see a nice one right out of the camera into the screen than having to fool around with. It does also look like a lot of fun to manipulate other ones!!!... Maybe some day...
    All in due time... sometimes I do an HDR one! Again the time spend is too much.

Pathfinder... whenever you are ready for Burr Trail, let me know! (part I and II) It is an experience truly not to miss...

So what if sometimes my skies are on the green side!!!ne_nau.gif

Be well... always.

Ara & Spirit