Maybe an Ingrid Bergman

ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in People
This reminded me of an old time photo. Maybe Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca?

Original color version:

DSC04652copy3.jpg

B&W Version:

DSC04652copy2.jpg

Blessings,
LadyTX

Comments

• bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    I like the BW version, but the vignette is a little overdone.

Thanks for the comment. I backed off the vignette some. Better?

Blessings,
    LadyTX
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Hmmm....this leaves me wishing to see one that peeks around the side of the hat to see both her eyes?

I missed the original vignette, but....I like vignettes...especially when retro look processing is used and doubt it would have been overdone for my tastes.

BTW...I have been trying to perfect a LOMO-look preset it lightroom. Have you considered something like this? It is retro yet retains color....a look that lends itself well to a portrait that can otherwise not be dated.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    I like both versions, but I think you could probably improve the b&w in her skin tones a bit -- maybe in PS curves, by setting a couple of points to add more contrast -- more body -- in her skin tones. They look a tad washed out in your conversion, imo...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
    edited July 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hmmm....this leaves me wishing to see one that peeks around the side of the hat to see both her eyes?

Here's one that peeks at the other eye ...

DSC04651copy.jpg
    I missed the original vignette, but....I like vignettes...especially when retro look processing is used and doubt it would have been overdone for my tastes.

Here is the original vignette:

DSC04652copy4.jpg

BTW...I have been trying to perfect a LOMO-look preset it lightroom. Have you considered something like this? It is retro yet retains color....a look that lends itself well to a portrait that can otherwise not be dated.

Feel free to play around with this if you would like. Then be sure to "show and tell" me how to do it!

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Blessings
    LadyTX
    edited July 7, 2008
    Much better. Subtlety is important with a white background.

Thanks,
    LadyTX
    edited July 7, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    I like both versions, but I think you could probably improve the b&w in her skin tones a bit -- maybe in PS curves, by setting a couple of points to add more contrast -- more body -- in her skin tones. They look a tad washed out in your conversion, imo...

I will play with it some more. I don't have any good formulas for converting to B&W. I see other B&W's that are just awesome but my conversions usually stink ... lol. Am open to any suggestions and directions.

Thanks for commenting.

Blessings,
    LadyTX
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    She needs to be wearing something black... perhaps a snappy svelt black suitcoat with white piping mwink.gif a la Bergman. I like the hat. She's young so dressing her up beyond that would look inappropriate. She looks poised nad relaxed which is excellent.
    I'm not so fond of the vignette but the best of both worlds might be more shadow or a cookie or two on the lights with the same hat flopped over the eye look. Her shoulder got lost in the white on both versions.
    I love old throwback themes.thumb.gif