Some portraits.

OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited July 8, 2008 in People
Would appreciate some C&C on these.. portraits are a relatively new area for me.

326701082_LfxL6-L.jpg

326766339_Xp6Cq-L.jpg

Comments

• VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Fantastic skin tones and retouching. I like the lighting as well, and how the the image is dark around the bottom. One thing only attracts my eyes negatively though, is the total darkness beneath the chest to the left (Only in shot 1), I find it too dark in relation with how the light is supposed to refract. Great stuff though.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    As mentioned, I am too a fan of the retouching, and the fantastic lighting.. What I'm not liking so much is the posing.. Perhaps I'm missing what you were going for, but here's my take:
    Photo 1) The chin up, is a very masculine pose, especially for such a lovely looking woman. Perhaps if she were wearing business attire, or even boxing gloves, the head position wouldn't be so bad..
    Photo 2) I think if her head were tipped into a "C-Tilt", it would look much nicer.. The shadows on her neck because of her neck being tipped in an "S-Tilt" are distracting to my eyes.
    Just my 2 cents worth!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Nice lighting and photos. I like #1 best. It has an air of sassy attitude.
    LadyTX
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I'm hoping to organise a 'portrait party' with some ladies in our social group.. should give me plenty of practice.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    love the lighting and the skin tones. Not so much the chin pushing up.
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    both could use a bit more fill flash to camera left. maybe a reflector down and to the left to brighten the face a bit, and give some light under her bust? i like the retouching also
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    both could use a bit more fill flash to camera left. maybe a reflector down and to the left to brighten the face a bit, and give some light under her bust? i like the retouching also
    Interesting you say that. I was shooting two strobes with umbrellas. The one to the left was bounced, the right one shoot-through. I was going to use a reflector, but had time to set up two strobes instead (amazing how long it can take to put on simple make-up). :D

I upped the power on the left strobe for later shots because I thought the shadows were too harsh (the 1st image being a later shot). The darkness under the bust in the 1st shot is pretty much down to added vignette.

Here's a later shot that shows the facial lighting I was aiming for.

326868250_xgoQS-L.jpg
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
  • OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    this one is much better. the only nit pick i think would be that her left eye is shadowed by her hair. swoop the hair back a bit and it will be great