Boat on the Bay

hioo1hioo1 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited July 9, 2008 in Landscapes
I took these shots when the sun was setting and I was getting ready to take pictures of the fireworks over the Bay.

326201359_Kjf9u-L.jpg
and this one is my Favorite of that day!

326205714_w7tko-L.jpg

Any Tips?

Comments

• Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    First
    The photos are too big. Can you make them smaller? They are so big I can't really tell what you have going on in them beacuase I have to move the picture around to see it all.
    Thanks
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • hioo1hioo1 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Hows that (sorry, I'm a newb here and not sure what size people like)
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    #2 is too dark. I can barely make out the silhouette. Might have been tough lighting and tough to recover without some good masking in photoshop masking.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    The 1st one can benefit from a tighter crop. The 2nd one is too dark and the kayaker's position is too low in the picture to be compositionally sound. You might try going for just the kayaker only and forget about the top half. Both can use a smidge of horizon leveling (clockwise).

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • hioo1hioo1 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    thanks for the comments guys! I'll post them after i play with them a little bit!:D
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Thats better!
    Okay thats better, now we can see the photo :D

The first one is the best but I think you could crop it differently to make it stronger. You have the horizion in the dead center and we tend to favor photos more when it is not dead center. So, try picking the sky or the water to be your main area instead of having them even.

The second one is too dark -as stated. If the boater was all dark then it would be considered a silhouette. But here half of him is detailed and half of him is not so we are left confused and wanting to see more.

The colors are beautiful.

Welcome to Dgin...if you use it you will learn a lot from here :D
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif

I think these look great. The soft texture in the sky goes well with the ripples in the water.

Hope to see more from you around here! thumb.gif