More from the newborn shoot for CC

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in People

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Perfect!!!

Well, you know I like detail shots....and monotones so....#3 is my fave here. Great job Julie!thumb.gif
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Perfect!!!

Well, you know I like detail shots....and monotones so....#3 is my fave here. Great job Julie!thumb.gif

Thanks Jeff. :D
    I'm finding that I learn a little more each time I do a shoot. With the first newborn shoot I did, there were five kids running around but I didn't find anything I would have done differently. With this shoot, it was just the parents, a grandma and Aunt...but, I brought my youngest (they are church members who wanted Emmy to see the baby). The backdrop is fabric and not wide enough and I didn't remove the pacifier. I started to stress out BIG time for some reason and was just trying to get the shots so I could get out and cool off. I was blazing hot. Laughing.gif I know the parents will love the shots pacifier or not, but for me....I think the shots would be increasingly better without pacy. rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks Jeff. :D
    I'm finding that I learn a little more each time I do a shoot. With the first newborn shoot I did, there were five kids running around but I didn't find anything I would have done differently. With this shoot, it was just the parents, a grandma and Aunt...but, I brought my youngest (they are church members who wanted Emmy to see the baby). The backdrop is fabric and not wide enough and I didn't remove the pacifier. I started to stress out BIG time for some reason and was just trying to get the shots so I could get out and cool off. I was blazing hot. Laughing.gif I know the parents will love the shots pacifier or not, but for me....I think the shots would be increasingly better without pacy. rolleyes1.gif

Sheesh....LET IT GO!!!!....Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif ....you did a fantastic job with these!!

I noticed the pacifier, but it didn't bother me at all.

Stress is maybe a confidence thing. I have uaually previsualized some things I would like to do...and am sure you do the same. Making a list of these, and checking them off as you work might get you through that stage of the shoot ....give you something to concentrate on until you relax. Once you check the list off you can work on more opportunistic compositions, and you should be through the stage fright part. I always work outdoors, and usually show up to a location at least 30 minutes ahead to put a plan together and study angles and light. By the time they arrive I am ready to click!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sheesh....LET IT GO!!!!....Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif ....you did a fantastic job with these!!

I noticed the pacifier, but it didn't bother me at all.

Stress is maybe a confidence thing. I have uaually previsualized some things I would like to do...and am sure you do the same. Making a list of these, and checking them off as you work might get you through that stage of the shoot ....give you something to concentrate on until you relax. Once you check the list off you can work on more opportunistic compositions, and you should be through the stage fright part. I always work outdoors, and usually show up to a location at least 30 minutes ahead to put a plan together and study angles and light. By the time they arrive I am ready to click!

Funny you should mention stage fright. That is a word I have used several times to explain my cuurent condition rolleyes1.gif
    It hasnt happened with people I know, only ones I don't know. I am going to get an opportunity to meet with a gentleman who has been in the business for a number of years. He is generously allowing me to come so he can give me some assistance in posing and lighting. It should be very interesting and a great learning experience. I seriously haven't had as many paying jobs as I would like. I'm in my Portfolio building stage, but boy have I handed out a lot of cards. I talked to two girls who will be Seniors this year. One of them was all excited because she is really in to Marilyn Monroe and asked if we could do a shoot around that. Of course I said Absolutely!!! Her mom is a hairdresser and could do her hair like M.Monroe's. She was all excited....now the waiting begins.
    So, what do you for follow-up? Or, is there anyway to follow up? I know the girl and her family so I could call, but should I call. Laughing.gif I was going to PM all this to ya, but I thought, heck I'll just post a response instead.
    edited July 7, 2008
    Funny you should mention stage fright. That is a word I have used several times to explain my cuurent condition rolleyes1.gif
    It hasnt happened with people I know, only ones I don't know. I am going to get an opportunity to meet with a gentleman who has been in the business for a number of years. He is generously allowing me to come so he can give me some assistance in posing and lighting. It should be very interesting and a great learning experience. I seriously haven't had as many paying jobs as I would like. I'm in my Portfolio building stage, but boy have I handed out a lot of cards. I talked to two girls who will be Seniors this year. One of them was all excited because she is really in to Marilyn Monroe and asked if we could do a shoot around that. Of course I said Absolutely!!! Her mom is a hairdresser and could do her hair like M.Monroe's. She was all excited....now the waiting begins.
    So, what do you for follow-up? Or, is there anyway to follow up? I know the girl and her family so I could call, but should I call. Laughing.gif I was going to PM all this to ya, but I thought, heck I'll just post a response instead.

First off, Senior portraits are fun. Spend enough time shooting to get past any nervousness on you or the clients part and have fun. The girls especially might actually have some fun things in mind before they show up.

I have had few issues with folks actually following through with a shoot. Now and then I run across someone who waffles, but have had zero problems with teens. I would offer her the marilyn shoot in addition to a seperate sitting for more traditional sr photos at whatever $$ you were going to do the one sitting for. I know this is giving a lot away, but her mom may want the more traditional stuff. The other will be fun and will also be fun to have in your portfolio. Offer a discount of some sort if they will do them early in the school year. THen, let them have a watermarked medium sized files to download and use on their "myspace" and "facebook" pages. THis is better than a business card because....hundreds...at least...will see it daily. I doubt you will get hundreds of calls, but at least her friends will know about you ...and they will call.

Find some local car clubs in your area.....call....ask if any of their members has a late '50's cadillac convertable....especially in white or pink. Offer the car owner a few digital files of his car in trade for letting you use it for the marilyn shoot.

I still am doing some things in the name of portfolio building. Honestly though....I am tired of that. I am not doing ANY more free weddings. I am beyond done there!!!