Options

Transferring data from pixel.quantserve.com

darrell-fdarrell-f Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 20, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm having a problem in that my galleries are not loading. My homepage, http://darrell-f.smugmug.com/ does load, but when I attempt to open my galleries, it seems to go into wait mode. I see the message "Transferring data from pixel.quantserve.com". I'm using Foxfire 3.0. If I refresh the screen numerous times, I can get a gallery to load about 10% of the time.

I tried to find some discussion of this problem and found this post from March, 2007.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=55273&highlight=quantserve

This post describes the same thing that I'm seeing.

I also checked some other Smugmug sites and I have the same problem opening galleries.

I hate to say this, but I did try IE7 and did not have the problem.

Is there a known problem with Smugmug, Firefox 3 or Firefox security setting that is an issue?

Any assistance or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Darrell-F

Edited for additional information:
I've found that the problem seems to be specific to the Smugmug style option. If the style is set to Traditional or Thumbs the gallery will load. The slide show also works.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    darrell-f wrote:
    I'm having a problem in that my galleries are not loading. My homepage, http://darrell-f.smugmug.com/ does load, but when I attempt to open my galleries, it seems to go into wait mode. I see the message "Transferring data from pixel.quantserve.com". I'm using Foxfire 3.0. If I refresh the screen numerous times, I can get a gallery to load about 10% of the time.

I tried to find some discussion of this problem and found this post from March, 2007.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=55273&highlight=quantserve

This post describes the same thing that I'm seeing.

I also checked some other Smugmug sites and I have the same problem opening galleries.

I hate to say this, but I did try IE7 and did not have the problem.

Is there a known problem with Smugmug, Firefox 3 or Firefox security setting that is an issue?

Any assistance or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Darrell-F

Edited for additional information:
    I've found that the problem seems to be specific to the Smugmug style option. If the style is set to Traditional or Thumbs the gallery will load. The slide show also works.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Quantserve is who Smugmug uses to help keep track of all their web traffic. If you are having trouble getting data from them, it is probably because the route through your ISP to quantserve is having some technical difficulty. This likely has nothing to do with Smugmug per se, other than they are the ones that have embedded quantserve in the Smugmug pages.

I just checked and I am having no problems getting data from quantserve so it is likely either a regional or local issue, not a general issue.

Your pages load fast for me.

If you know how to run a tracert to pixel.quantserve.com, I'd suggest doing that and maybe you can see where in the route there is trouble.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    thanks
    I just checked and I can ping pixel.quantserve.com without problem.
    Also the problem does not show it IE7 which seems to rule out a communication issue with my ISP, Brighthouse.

When you found that my pages load for you, what browser were you using?

Darrell-F
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    darrell-f wrote:
    I'll try that, but that seems at odds with the fact that I don't see a problem in IE7.

Darrell-F

I don't know why it works for you in IE7, but not in FF3. It works fine for me here in FF2, FF3, IE7 and Safari - all running on Windows Vista Home Premium.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Working for me in FF3 also.....maybe you need to clear your private data in FF3........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Done that too
    I've cleared private data many times in the last few hours.

I've now run traceroute in both IE7 and Firefox and can get to pixel.quantserve.com in both. I'm stumped.

Now I'm seeing that it is also hanging 'transferring data from www.google-analytics.com.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    Gallery now loading
    I had the problem all day Sunday and Sunday night; however, on Monday morning the galleries would load. On Tuesday, with no changes, galleries will not load. Shutdown Firefox and restarted and the galleries load.
  • Options
    OppsOpps Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I don't know if it's the same problem I've had. When I've used FF3 for awhile pages stops loading (all other browsers) work just fine. If I quit and restart FF3 then everything works OK again.
    --
    Jan Erik Moström
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I occasionally get this problem. If I have difficulty getting access to quantserve, then the whole of smugmug appears to seize up.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    I occasionally get this problem. If I have difficulty getting access to quantserve, then the whole of smugmug appears to seize up.

Has this been addressed by tech support? I have been getting these same problems as described above, this morning it was Google Analytics and more frequently with quantserve. Be a bummer if clients were getting this as well :cry
    Cheers,
    Monte