Sunday Tease: Shade

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited July 7, 2008 in People
Actually her name is pronounced "shaw-day", like Sade, famous singer from the 80ies.
She is an LA native now living in NYC. A Columbia student who just finished her two year reign as Miss Black New York. And, boy, her experience shows. :bow
We got *tons* of great looks, both from my studio and from the outdoors.
For the sunset we went to the same Reservoir Rock where I took Tawny and where I almost lost my light stand and flash. This time I got 3 sandbags, which helped a lot stability-wise. Unfortunately, they also turned what was a 30 minute hike into 1hr one (without any load you can reach the destination within 15-20 minutes if you're in a good shape). I came home last night 9:30pm tired as a dog. Naturally no processing yet, just culled for tossers, roughly adjusted WB and other global stuff in ACR and uploaded drafts.

This particular shot is from the series that she wanted to do the most. The whole idea was hers, I only picked up the place, waited for the right sun position, set up the lights and pressed the shutter:-). The scepter she's clutching is a real tribal thing from Nigeria.

Anyway, here's the tease frame:

Warrior Princess

327177970_86yps-XL.jpg

More later, but I need to do more serious culling (not all the stuff came out as pg-13, although we tried to stay within limits:-).:rolleyes

Enjoy (and get your popcorn ready:-)!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Nik,
    I'm curious to see in your post work if you can bring out the look of a "warrior princess" in the wild, as opposed to a NY model who has removed her clothes at a reservoir in socal :D

I know you haven't touched this shot much as yet, but the foreground flash is looking a bit strong as of now...

You've been busy, busy, busy lately!!
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    1pocket wrote:
    Nik,
    I'm curious to see in your post work if you can bring out the look of a "warrior princess" in the wild, as opposed to a NY model who has removed her clothes at a reservoir in socal :D
    Her idea was to get all dirty with the mud for this. But when it came to the look we both were too damn tired. We'll see.. May be a pinch of Draganizer is in order :-) mwink.gif
    I know you haven't touched this shot much as yet, but the foreground flash is looking a bit strong as of now...
    It's not the foregrounds, it's the side one. I underestimated the power of 580 (it always seemed very weak in my prior exercises). I also forgot to gel it :-( :bash I'd have to work my PS magic on these...
    You've been busy, busy, busy lately!!
    Yup.:D Only August 30th is available now, otherwise it's September:-)
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Nik, do you have a light meter to measure all these different lights? Also you shoot them on manual, right?
    :lurk
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Nik, do you have a light meter to measure all these different lights? Also you shoot them on manual, right?
    :lurk
    Yes, I do. Little basic Sekonic. And I'm usually very methodical about using it. But in this case I relied on the prior memory, totally forgetting
    a) it was gelled before, and
    b) it's been like twice furher away.
    And again I was totally exhausted by the previous 6 hour shoot and 1 hour uphill hike, so I measured two front lights and totally skipped on this side one. ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif :cry
    Full manual like 95% of the time, sometimes aperture priority if I want to automatically expose for backround (provided shutter speed falls under 1/250, which is my Sunpak's max sync speed), but that's only when there is no direct sun in the frame, like after the sunset or in those rare cases that my model faces the sun or/and I use it as a main, not as a rim/hair/back.