Advice needed - upgrade from XTI to 40D?

flamingemuflamingemu Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 8, 2008 in Cameras
Hello all,

I've been lurking for months and finally decided to post up the question that's been bothering me for a while. I purchased my XTI a little over a year ago as my first SLR camera. I've been pretty proactive learning its use through various videos and books and I'm able to take a decent picture. The problem that I have is consistency. One day I'll take a batch of pictures that I really like and the next time I'll go out, they are mediocre at best in similar conditions and it's very frustrating!!!

I realize that's it's probably 100% something I'm doing wrong, but I keep wondering if stepping up to the 40D would help me get better pictures on a more regular basis because it's more forgiving of my mistakes. I am able to do the basic corrections in Photoshop, but frankly, many of the bad photos just aren't fixable - usually too out of focus. I'm using a Tamron 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 which gives me a good range, but I realize is a compromise lens for all situations.

So basically I'm looking for advice or opinions on the following:

1. Should I upgrade to the 40D? Will it help me be a better photographer? I know the XSi is a nice step up as well, but I figure if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well do it right.

2. Is the Tamron lens potentially holding me back? I've rented the Canon 70-200 f/4 and really liked it and seemed to be more consistent with it - not perfect, but noticeably better. It's at a price point I think I can handle too.

3. Should I just stick with what I have and just keep practicing? I also wonder if I'm still just going through the growing pains of moving from the lazy point and shoot to actually having to think about what I'm doing.

4. Does anyone know if the successor to the 40D is in the works and if so, should I wait? I'd hate to buy the 40D and have the latest and greatest thing come out next month.

I know a lot of these questions have probably been asked in the past, but I'm hoping for a fresh perspective as equipment and people's experience in these areas have probably changed over time.

Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 7, 2008
    While the Canon 40D is a wonderful camera, I suspect the problems you are having are more related to the lens you are using.

If you noticed an improvement upon using the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L, that should be an indicator to you.

It is true that the 40D would be an upgrade and the improved autofocus section might yield a higher percentage of "keepers", but a higher rate still would probably relate to the use of better lenses. In particular, the constant aperture lenses of f2.8 or better yield consistantly better results because the larger aperture allows "any" autofocus better separation between subject and surroundings.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I moved from XT to 40D, and I do not take any better pictures, in fact, I suspect many are worse as I learn the new kit. The only significant thing I find for making better shots is the control I have on Manual. Otherwise, not that big a deal.

Agree with Ziggy, but I say that glass is the #2 thing in improving your shots. Good glass can provide really satisfying results.

So what is #1 thing to improve your shots: Improve you. Shoot more, try things, take shots at various settings, examine and critique, learn to analyze your shots, understand the direction and quality of the light, where you were focused, how your lens performs at different settings. Take a class, go shoot with a pro. These things will improve your shots far more than any lens or body.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 7, 2008
    Before you upgrade your gear, you should spend some time figuring out just what the problem is. Unless your equipment is malfunctioning, if your technique is solid, you should not be getting inconsistent results when shooting with the same settings under the same conditions. On the other hand, if you analyze your results carefully, you might find that you are coming up against a limit. I would expect you to have some trouble shooting long in low light with that lens, for example, so if it turns out that most of the problems are in that sort of shot, a better lens might be the answer. Post a few examples with full EXIF data and perhaps we can help.

Regards,
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Wise photographers will always echo that you should spend money on glass rather than bodies. I used a low end SLR for almost 5 years and spent the money on lenses. No regrets! When your body is holding you back you will know, so if you are unsure it is probably the lenses (or knowledge gap).

Good luck! Post examples when you get something you are unhappy with and the dgrin folks will help.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • flamingemuflamingemu Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    The thoughts that something is wrong with my stuff had crossed my mind, but in reality I know that's probably not the case. I certainly haven't ventured to work in manual mode too much because I can use all the help from the camera I can get! The Tamron lens was recommended by a friend, but I think he did that so I would have an all purpose lens versus a lens for a specific function. The more I use it, the more I think I could benefit from a couple of different lenses (like a 24-70 and a 70-200) as that would cover the normal portrait stuff I do and might do the trick for some of the sports stuff I dabble in (motorcycles at local track day events).

When I get home this evening, I will post a few different examples in hopes of suggestions. I'll try to get some variety in there so you can what worked and what didn't work for me. I have heard from numerous people that the glass is where to invest, so I probably need to look at that soon.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    The 40D is not going to be upgraded to a 50D any time soon. My source for that is asking the Canon reps (not just sales guys, one sales and one pro/tech guy) during Canon Days last month.

There is an upgrade to the 5D comming but they are still tight-lipped about it rolleyes1.gif

My suggestion (like others here) is to keep your camera that you have. I think you still have a lot to learn with it based on what you've said (I could be wrong). Upgrade your glass. Pick up some lenses that suit what you want to shoot rather than an all-around lens. As long as you stay away from the EF-S lenses you will be able to keep all your glass and use it on the new version of the 5D when it gets released, or the 50D if they do that in a couple years.

thumb.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I would second the better glass before new body idea. There are plenty of very talented photogs around here using the XTi and getting great results (Awais Yaqub and jeffreaux2, to name a couple.) And I would also practice using manual on your camera. The fun with a DSLR is that you get to be smarter than the camera! :D Of course, some situations may call for Av or Tv priority, but shooting manually has only helped me know more about those situations, too. Take tons of pics and definitely upgrade that glass! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I would second the better glass before new body idea. There are plenty of very talented photogs around here using the XTi and getting great results (Awais Yaqub and jeffreaux2, to name a couple.) And I would also practice using manual on your camera. The fun with a DSLR is that you get to be smarter than the camera! :D Of course, some situations may call for Av or Tv priority, but shooting manually has only helped me know more about those situations, too. Take tons of pics and definitely upgrade that glass! thumb.gif

And before I got my 40D I was using the XTi and just loving the results it produced for me. I got the XTi originally and then spent the money on the glass, and that really helped things. When I originally when from the XTi kit lens to the 24-105 f4/L IS USM, I was just blown away by the better quality of the images, sharpness, contrast, etc. But alas, things like focus I do not believe are always an issue w/ the lens. I agree with a previous posted that said spend more time on your first... then the lenses second... and the body third. Find things nearby you can go to and just take photos for the sake of taking photos. We're in the digital age, so use it to the best of your ability. When I first started shooting basketball last year I didn't have a clue what I was doing... but with each game I learned something new (and eventually started asking the other photographers questions too) and over time I have grown more confident in my ability to take something that is actually worthwhile versus something that is just a throw away.

I hope that long babble was helpful :)
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    1. Should I upgrade to the 40D? Will it help me be a better photographer? I know the XSi is a nice step up as well, but I figure if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well do it right.

I'd seriously doubt it unless you must have a faster shutter speed, faster fps,or a spot meter.

2. Is the Tamron lens potentially holding me back? I've rented the Canon 70-200 f/4 and really liked it and seemed to be more consistent with it - not perfect, but noticeably better. It's at a price point I think I can handle too.

I suspect so as it's optics aren' the greatest, especially at the long end.

3. Should I just stick with what I have and just keep practicing? I also wonder if I'm still just going through the growing pains of moving from the lazy point and shoot to actually having to think about what I'm doing.

I'd upgrade lenses as they make much more of a difference than bodies.

4. Does anyone know if the successor to the 40D is in the works and if so, should I wait? I'd hate to buy the 40D and have the latest and greatest thing come out next month.

It's always in the works. The Canon xxD series seem to be replaced at 18month intervals, so my guess is Feb of 09.

If it was me, I'd probably upgrade the lenses and continue with the XTi.