Options

Computer Crash - Totally Mad So Many Problems

SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
edited July 9, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Ok here is the deal my computer crashed - plain and simple. I do have an external back up disk...however I hadn't backed up in a while so there is the biggest problem. Problem number 2... I have a client who has taken literally 3 months to decide on images. I finally a couple of weeks ago shut down her gallery so she would stop linking my images to her family and friends. So she called and wondered why she couldn't get in...I wanted to tell her "DUH...you haven't ordered lady". Well she is ready and has told me which images she wants. Is there a way I can get a copy of my original files from my website? I know this question probably doesn't make sense...but she also wants to order a Senior book with all my images and I won't be able to drag and drop them. I totally need help...can someone please help me?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    You bet! They're your files, Seneca deal.gif

Try AlbumFetcher:
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

Sorry you had a crash :(
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Thanks Andy...you're so awesome.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2008
    Well this totally rocked...it worked I know have my files back. Thanks guys. clap.gif
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Sorry to hear about the crash.

Little bit off-topic, but to keep clients from dragging their feet on selections it's a good idea to set a time limit. For example, tell them the proof gallery will only be posted for thirty days since you need the bandwidth for big project you have coming up. Yeah, yeah-- bandwidth isn't an issue with SM but you get what I'm saying.

If you don't set a time limit, you'd be surprised at how many clients will literally take forever to decide and suddenly they're need the photos overnight when you're in the midst of some other project.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the crash.

Little bit off-topic, but to keep clients from dragging their feet on selections it's a good idea to set a time limit. For example, tell them the proof gallery will only be posted for thirty days since you need the bandwidth for big project you have coming up. Yeah, yeah-- bandwidth isn't an issue with SM but you get what I'm saying.

If you don't set a time limit, you'd be surprised at how many clients will literally take forever to decide and suddenly they're need the photos overnight when you're in the midst of some other project.

I like this idea, however, it's not a perfect solution. Many of my clients shop when it's convenient for them. during show season, many of them are often gone for weeks/months at a time qualifying for this and that, if they don't have the time within 30 days to shop than I have lost out on a sale.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to allow yourself to decide what is an emergency. I have had people freak out at me (by email) because I can't meet their request, the first think I do is pick up the phone and get all the particulars and we decide together what to do from there. If it's truly last minute, well it's not your fault and clients are much less likely to harbor any hard feelings if you speak in person and are honest about what you can and cannot do.
    I had someone order a christmas gift from me on December 21, I thanked them, but reminded them my cut off really was the 15th. I assured them there was no way that I could do the request and be happy with the job, as I didn't have the time to put into it, and sold them a gift certificate instead! So some people take a little longer to decide what it is they want to buy, eventually you do make the sale, which in the end is what matters most.

Also remember your clients and their requests. I had a rush rush job a client needed a replacement on something that she had misplaced and needed it asap. I took time from something else and had it on time, well she still hasn't picked up the item, but paid for it, this was a few months ago, I'll know next time not to panic!mwink.gifivar