Options

Pano tutorial

South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in Finishing School
Okay, so I'm following SmugMug's how to print a pano tutorial seen here:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2166432

and I am trying to copy my first 10x30 image over onto the larger 20x30 canvas that is transparent and there waiting for me. The problem is this...once I select all, copy and then go over to paste, the newly pasted image is no longer 10x30 but instead some ridiculously small version.

How do I get this copied file to retain it's correct size for aligning purposes?

Sure, I can pull it out to fit, but then I'm worried I will in some way shape or form distort the original image parameters thus causing a pixellated end print.

Thanks,

Rob
Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008

and I am trying to copy my first 10x30 image over onto the larger 20x30 canvas that is transparent and there waiting for me. The problem is this...once I select all, copy and then go over to paste, the newly pasted image is no longer 10x30 but instead some ridiculously small version.

How do I get this copied file to retain it's correct size for aligning purposes?

Sure, I can pull it out to fit, but then I'm worried I will in some way shape or form distort the original image parameters thus causing a pixellated end print.

Thanks,

Rob

Here's an easier way:
    1. Image/Duplicate - to make a duplicate copy of your image to work on
    2. Image/Canvas Size, check the "Relative" box, set the drop-down next to height to be "pixels", then enter a value in the height box that is the same height as your current image. That will add that many more pixels to the height (doubling the height).
    3. Set the anchor value to the middle box (so it will add pixels even above and below your existing image).
    4. Set the canvas extension color to white (I presume that's what you want).
    5. Hit OK.
    You now have your image on a 2:3 ratio canvas. If your original image dimensions were labeled 10x30, this one will be 20x30.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response. I should mention I'm using Photoshop Elements 4.0 and at first glance, I do not have the image/duplicate option you are referring to.

Rob
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response. I should mention I'm using Photoshop Elements 4.0 and at first glance, I do not have the image/duplicate option you are referring to.

Rob

Then, you can make a copy of the image in the organizer before you open it in the editor. The idea is just to have a separate copy of the image to work on that starts with all the same settings rather than starting with a new empty image that you try to give the same settings. I don't know if the other steps work verbatim in Elements or not, but you should be able to do something similar.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    *bump*

I' m still hoping someone can explain why the imported photo comes up undersized when I try to lay it onto the blank canvas...

As I mentioned before, sure I can pull it out to meet the edges, but my fear there is that the "pulling" will result in a distorted finished product - the last thing I want/need to pay for.

Thanks,

Rob

• Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I don't know if this is the thread to post this in or not, but will Smugmug actually cut off the excess canvas/paper if printing a 10x30 pand on 20x30?
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,
    One reason might be the DPI of the original image... When you drop one image into another in Photoshop it will resize according to DPI and not inches...

Example: Say your 10x30 is at 150 DPI and you've got the new 20x30 document at 300 DPI according to the tutorial, when you put the 10x30 into the new document, it'll actually be 5x15 because it has half the DPI as the target document.

Photoshop really only cares about pixels and not inches, the inches are there to give us humans a reference point.

The only way to correct this without causing pixelation and distortion when resizing is to go back to the original files and recreate the pano at 300 DPI. It sucks to redo it, but better to have it look good when printed!

Hope this helps, it's just the thought that came to mind when I read it...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    I don't know if this is the thread to post this in or not, but will Smugmug actually cut off the excess canvas/paper if printing a 10x30 pand on 20x30?

Good question, I was wondering that too.

Rob

• Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Rob,
    One reason might be the DPI of the original image... When you drop one image into another in Photoshop it will resize according to DPI and not inches...

Example: Say your 10x30 is at 150 DPI and you've got the new 20x30 document at 300 DPI according to the tutorial, when you put the 10x30 into the new document, it'll actually be 5x15 because it has half the DPI as the target document.

Photoshop really only cares about pixels and not inches, the inches are there to give us humans a reference point.

The only way to correct this without causing pixelation and distortion when resizing is to go back to the original files and recreate the pano at 300 DPI. It sucks to redo it, but better to have it look good when printed!

Hope this helps, it's just the thought that came to mind when I read it...

Yeah, that would make sense wouldn't it? I'll try your suggestion and see if that does the trick. Seems like an awful lot of work just to have a pano printed. Hopefully SM comes up with something a little cleaner in the future.

• Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    "Resolution" to your problem?
    I'm not waiting to see if this did the trick...but I'm guessing it would. The two files need to have the same resolution or PS will resize them when you move them. Use Image Size with resample selected and change the resolution of the 20x30 file to match that of the 10x30 or just create a new blank 20x30 at the 10x30 resolution...then move the file. By the way, did you consider changing the canvas size on your 10x30 to 20x30?

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    No, I have not, as I've never actually printed a pano sized print of any kind. That's why I'm encountering these difficulties. Soon to be resolved with all of the excellent advice though, thanks!