Options

Help for making portraits

chandrikachandrika Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 8, 2008 in Technique
Hello friends, my companion for the time being is a N-55 35MM SLR, and am now seriously thinking of diverting my attention towards the professional portraits. Wanted to know if I can do this with the camera I have or do I need to get another camera. If someone can tell me about the most efficient Nikon lens to achieve this purpose it would help my cause a lot. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    you can do portraiture with that camera, though youll need darkroom experience. a lens anywhere from 50-75mm is what i use
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Do you have any Pro photo processing labs in your area.....Your profile is lacking a lot of info.....But here goes......
    For several years my companion was a Nikon F70.....yup a Euro model bought here in the states (USA model was the N70)....I had this camera armed with a Sigma 70-210 lens........this camera shot wedding and portraits for me for a very long time.......I also suggest you get some really good slow speed Fuji print film (iso 100) and a good flash (for that camera I would go with either a sunpak 120Jttl, Vivatar 285HV....these are non dedicated auto flashes.......real work horses........
    But to answer you question.....in short....Yes that camera will do everything you need it to do to make money, if you just learn to use it correctly.....if you search amazon you might even find a magic lantern book for the N50, which would be the best way to learn your camera and its capabilities.

Do not worry about learning the darkroom, let one of the many still great Pro Labs do the processing for you, it will aloow you to keep shooting while the film is processing across town or across the country depending on who you use....what ever you do ......DO NOT USE SOMEONE LIKE WALMART OR WALGREEN....as most of the time they imprint the back of the photos with their store name and that can cause problems if a client see that and asks why you a professional is using a discount store to process and why are your prices so high........the way I looked at it was like this.....it is the clients money so use the best processor you have access to.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    art, the only problem i see with that is, your putting your work in the hands of someone else, basically handing off a task that you as a photographer should be doing. Photographers are known for thier darkroom magic.

if you really want to shoot film, i suggest learning how to use a darkroom. Or switch to digital (though theres still something magical about film that i love!