Options

Camera specific Raw Converters vs ACR

DalePDaleP Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 7, 2008 in Finishing School
I am currently in the process of upgrading my gear. 2 new aquisitons: Nikon D300, and Sigma SD14.

I have found that for the SD14, I get consistently better results from processing it's Raw images in the SP Pro software that comes free with the camera than what I am able to get with ACR.

With the Nikon, I seem to be getting much better results in terms of CA correction, color and tonal output, even pre-sharpening from the camera's jpegs than I am able to get using ACR with the NEF files from the camera. I know that ACR isn't able to read & apply the camera settings recorded by the D300 into its Nef files... but I am assuming that the jpegs I am getting are the same as I would see if I owned Nikon's Capture NX or NX2 and processed the NEF files and saved copies as jpegs.

I have ordered a copy of NX2, hoping that to be the case anyway.

I have been using ACR with the Raw files from my previous cameras for as long as it has been available for free: since CS2 at least . This is the first time I have noticed such a difference.

For what it's worth... I have just put a couple of recent images up; along with a brief commentary on how each was produced in their captions. In the What's New album under the new stuff category:

http://magicbyprice.smugmug.com/gallery/1418680

I will be adding other images to it as I continue working with the new camera/software combos in the weeks ahead. Feel free to send any info or comments you care to share regarding this, or related topics my way.

Thanks,

DaleP
mbp15@comcast.net