Getting Nikon D80, big trip -- need lens/kit advice

epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited October 20, 2008 in Cameras
I posted on here about a year ago about a decision I was making between a superzoom or a DSLR for a world trip I was going to be taking at the end of this year. At the time I ended up buying a Canon Powershot S5 IS that I absolutely love. Okay, that's going to be handed to my wife for the trip but as it gets closer I'm realizing that I really want a good DSLR. I've settled on the Nikon D80 (wish the D90 would hurry up and come out but it doesn't look it's going to happen).

The trip details are: leaving end of October, 3 and a half months, 14 countries. Includes a safari in Africa as well as some national parks in India and New Zealand. Pretty much the whole gamut of scenery. Of course, I've spent lots on the trip so I don't have an unlimited budget for the camera. I also have to consider portability and weight since I am going to be lugging this stuff around everywhere. At the same time, I won't get to do something like this ever again so I don't want to regret having missed a shot.

Here's what I'm thinking for a kit right now:

Nikon D80
18-200VR OR [70-300VR and one of (18-70,18-135,16-85VR)]
That's the real big one that I'm flip-flopping between right now -- is 200mm enough for a safari? Is swapping lenses in environments where there could be lots of dust, dirt, etc. going to be a pain, especially being new to DSLRs? The 18-200 is the cheapest and lightest option. The 18-135/70-300 is the cheapest combo that gets me to 300 due to the price of the 18-135 as a kit lens.
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
SB-400 Speedlight flash
A good camera bag to store this in but still be easily accessible (any suggestions?)
2 GB SD card

Also, I'm very interested in Geotagging and backing up all these photos. Now, I am also getting the iPhone 3G when it comes out, and I was stretching out hope that it might be able to function as both my GPS for geotagging and backup device for the photos, but I don't know if it's setup to do either of those things -- I know it supports Geotagging for its own pictures, but not sure how well the GPS works otherwise, and I know it can store photos downloaded from a computer but not if there's a way to dump pictures straight to it.

So, that's my slew of questions. Any answers, thoughts, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ernie

Which lens combo to choose? 20 votes

18-200VR
20% 4 votes
16-85VR and 70-300VR
30% 6 votes
18-70 and 70-300VR
15% 3 votes
18-135 and 70-300VR
5% 1 vote
Sigma 10-20 and 18-200VR
20% 4 votes
Something else
10% 2 votes

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited July 8, 2008
    Ernie,

This is no slam against Nikon but, since you don't have a dSLR and lenses, for a travel kit I have got to recommend Canon.

Specifically, the Canon 40D with the sensor cleaning and great high-ISO performance is IMHO a much better choice for a 14 country tour, compared to the Nikon D80.

Coupled with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM, it's just a superb imaging machine. Responsiveness and autofocus speed and accuracy are truly great and battery life is also very nice.

Add the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM for more range and a 1.4x teleconverter and you have a very versatile, lightweight and fairly compact system in 2 lenses. I am sorry to say neither Nikon nor anyone else has anything like it.

I would also recommend one of the super-wide lenses in the 10-20mm-ish range for vista landscapes.

If you really need to stay Nikon then I would recommend at least the D200 for a more responsive camera, but the D300 is sooo much more appropriate with much better high-ISO capabilities.

The Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX would be my first choice for a standard zoom and then the Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR IF-ED would be the tele-zoom to recommend. Either the Nikon TC-14E II or TC-17E II teleconverter to extend the longer zoom.

Again, one of the super-wide lenses for vistas.

Yes, a fast 50mm would be nice in either system for very low-light and interior use. The Nikkor 50mm, f/1.8D is sweet as is the Canon EF 50mm, f1.4.

You should probably have at least 6 - 2G cards for this kind of trip. Opportunities may come fast and furious.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    This is no slam against Nikon but, since you don't have a dSLR and lenses, for a travel kit I have got to recommend Canon.

Specifically, the Canon 40D with the sensor cleaning and great high-ISO performance is IMHO a much better choice for a 14 country tour, compared to the Nikon D80.

Coupled with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM, it's just a superb imaging machine. Responsiveness and autofocus speed and accuracy are truly great and battery life is also very nice.

Add the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM for more range and a 1.4x teleconverter and you have a very versatile, lightweight and fairly compact system in 2 lenses. I am sorry to say neither Nikon nor anyone else has anything like it.

If you really need to stay Nikon then I would recommend at least the D200 for a more responsive camera, but the D300 is sooo much more appropriate with much better high-ISO capabilities.

The Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX would be my first choice for a standard zoom and then the Nikkor 70-200mm, f/2.8G AF-S VR IF-ED would be the tele-zoom to recommend. Either the Nikon TC-14E II or TC-17E II teleconverter to extend the longer zoom.

I have been looking at DSLRs for a long time even though I'm only buying now, and I probably should explain my reasoning for going with the Nikon D80. I have nothing against Canon -- after all, I own the Canon Powershot S5 IS, and also an older Canon Powershot S45. The problem is I'm looking for something a step above entry level, but that is still lightweight and feature rich. I recognize the Canon 40D is a step above the Nikon D80, but having tried them in stores, it's also a step heavier than I want to go. Quite a bit heavier. And the Canon Rebels just don't have the feature level that I'm looking for. Canon doesn't have anything between the Rebel and the 40D. Nikon does have something between the D60 and the D300 which is the D80. It still has P and A modes that are accessible to a fair beginner (and his wife), but has exposure bracketing, a built-in AF drive, and overall better feature set then the entry level at a price that is still very affordable. I really wish the D90 would come out and pick up the trickle-down features from the D300 of higher ISO performance, Live View, and dust removal, but sadly that isn't happening.

As for your lens recommendations, I totally agree on the 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8, but they are far beyond my budget, especially combined with a new camera and a 3.5 month trip with two of us suddenly unemployed for that long. Actually, the same argument applies to buying the D300 -- out of my budget. If I had higher budget I'd go for the Sigma 30mm 1.4 rather than the Nikon 50mm 1.8. So, I have to find the best compromise solution. If it weren't for the safari, the 18-200VR would be the very obvious best compromise solution. I'm just not sure its reach is enough. Thus my dilemma.

Ernie
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Another one lens option that gives you a bit more reach is the Tamron 28-300 with VC (Vibration Compensation). Adorama has it for $599. Similar in price to the Nikon 18-200.
    edited July 8, 2008
    I'm awfully glad you've done your homework and actually tried the cameras to determine what works best for you.

A lot of people do like the Nikkor 18-200mm, f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR IF-ED for its versatility. I think you will find most lenses will not reach some of the more interesting wildlife unless the safari is on a wildlife reserve where the animals are used to seeing vehicles and people, and allow the vehicles to get pretty close.

I think it would be best to contact the organizers of the safari and ask them for advice or perhaps a short list of prior clients who might have advice.
    ziggy53
  • moemoe Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    I would highly recommend the 70-300 for wildlife shooting. You're going to want that additional reach.

Pairing that with the 16-85 will cover the wide end of the range very well also.

I don't think you can go wrong with that combo.
  • nearlyblindnearlyblind Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2008
    re:Getting Nikon D80, big trip
    You will find most of the wild life on safari in early morning or late evening as they water. High ISO and wide apertures help here. As you extend your range they become more important with faster shutter speeds.

Depending on the game lodge you may get very close - the ranger is the factor there so take care of them.

I think at the end of the trip, you'll find the wide angle got the most use.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    As someone who doesn't own a DSLR and with much, much less experience than Ziggy, I have to ask, did you look at any of the Olympus offerings? They have some of the smallest and lightest DSLRs on the market. An E-520 (or the currently on closeout E-510 it replaces) with the 14-54 and 50-200 will get you more range, and will be pretty light. Swapping the 50-200 for a 40-150 would save a bunch of weight, at the cost of a slower lens. The E-420 is smaller and lighter, but you don't get IS with it (and also battery life is lower).

I'm very size and weight sensitive for cameras (when I travel, I try to not check baggage, and frequently am carrying everything I pack on trains/subways) and I really don't see a better line of DSLRs for travel than Olympus. Just something else to consider.

edit: Looked up the cost and weight on the 50-200, and it's heavier than I thought, and pretty pricey. But the 40-150 is a good, light lens for the range (less than a pound), if slow f/4-5.6, but reasonably priced. There is also a cheaper Sigma 55-200 f/4-5.6 that has a longer range, but lower image quality.
  • AnthonySAnthonyS Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    I have a D80 and an 18-200VR and I love it! however I do wish I had a little more reach. Looking back I would probably have stayed with the 18-135 and bought a 70-300VR. I wouldnt worry too much about changing lenses, it is not hard and you will get good at it.

I would also recommend a wide angle. I have the Tokina 12-24mm and find that it stays on the camera more while traveling then the 18-200. Good luck and make sure you post pics in the journeys section.

oh and 2GB is not going to get you anywhere unless you back up daily. I usually roll with two 6GB cards and two 2GB cards for a 10 day trip. Remember you will only be there once capture every memory you can.

As far as packs go, I really like to back pack style that you can pack other stuff into.(like passports, mp3 player, batteries, instruction book or small souveniers) IE- Tamrack adventure series or Lowe Pro computrecker (lowePro has a rain hood if you worry about rain)
    AnthonyS
    http://AnthonysPics.com
    Nikon D80 {Nikor 18-200 VR}-{Nikor 50mm 1.8}-{Tokina 12-24mm} [2X Nikon SB-800 Speedlights]
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    I would also look seriously at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 & the Tamron70-200 2.8. These lenses are really high quality for an excellent price. I would personally go with these for the trip if I was getting a D80.
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    I would also look seriously at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 & the Tamron70-200 2.8. These lenses are really high quality for an excellent price. I would personally go with these for the trip if I was getting a D80.

I just got the Nikon version of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 this week. For $699, its built well and seems sharp. I also have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, and the 70-200 focuses faster. Tamron has some really affordable(<$200) teleconverters as well for the extra reach.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    If I were going on a safari, I would get the 50-500 Sigma and a cheap kit 18-55 mm. If I could only take one lens, the 18-200 vr would be it. I don't think the added reach of the 70-300 outweighs the range of the 18-200 if you want to travel light.

If you are concerned about reach, I really think lugging around the 50-500 would be worth it since this is a once in a lifetime trip.
  • epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    End verdict
    Well, all purchases are done, final decisions are made and I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm taking with me:

Nikon D90 (has video mode!)
    Nikkor 70-300VR
    Sigma 10-20
    Nikkor 50 f/1.8

Left behind: Nikkor 18-105VR

The swap of the 18-105 with the 10-20 was a very last minute change (like a few minutes ago). I was very hesitant to leave behind that good walkaround range, but we also got the more portable Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 which has a great 10x range from 28-280 equivalent and figured that could take all the "normal" range pictures, and the camera bag I have can only carry two lenses (plus the tiny 50mm), so something had to get left behind. We figured to keep lenses that handle the more extreme ranges on either end and leave the middle (if necessary) to the P&S.

Wish me luck. I should have tons of pictures when I get back.

Ernie
    edited October 20, 2008
    Ernie,

Good luck and good shooting. thumb.gif
    ziggy53