Options

Sold: Canon D30 and 10D

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited April 20, 2005 in Flea Market
They are up on ebay right now for those that might be interested.

Canon D30:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7509192402

Canon 10D:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7509197470
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2005
    hmmmmm...better go check my budget. I really need a backup camera to my 20D. I'm watching for now :)
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    edited April 18, 2005
    Shay,

I'm looking to get a SLR. Given that the D30 is only 3MP, would you recommend it as a good starter into SLRs from my Fuji S5100 point and shoot?

I may have to go bid on that...
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    For an easy way to get started with SLR, the D30 is probably the least expensive way. The camera produces clean results at 3mp, so I am comfortable using it for any print output up to 8x10. I had not had the chance to print anything larger than 8x10, but I suspect it would still hold up.

The D30 uses all the stuff the 10D and 20D do with the exception of no EF-S lens support. But all the other accessories will work on the D30 (e.g. remote control, battery, etc). The 350D in contrast uses different batteries and remote controls, so it makes using it problematic if you plan on getting a 10D or 20D in the future and using the 350D as backup because of the incompatible accessories.

The D30 has ISO 1600 and is better than the Fuji you are now using when it comes to low light work. As far as the zoom range you now enjoy with the Fuji however, that is going to take multiple lenses no doubt. But if you are looking to go the SLR route, lenses will become your main thing anyway mwink.gif

What the D30 is going to offer you is performance and lens choices and they are cheap enough that it makes the sting of starting a new platform a little easier to take.
    tlittleton wrote:
    Shay,

I'm looking to get a SLR. Given that the D30 is only 3MP, would you recommend it as a good starter into SLRs from my Fuji S5100 point and shoot?

I may have to go bid on that...
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Thanks for the info Shay. I think I'm going to go place my bid....
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    They are up on ebay right now for those that might be interested.

Canon D30:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7509192402

Canon 10D:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7509197470
    I have a question ( or two) for you. Is this your camera? I have a Rebel, and although I have been thinking about a 20D, I can't swing it for awhile. So I was thinking, depending on how high this goes, I might be able to buy this and sell the Rebel (with kit lens) for the same amount giving me a even $ deal. Would there be any benifit for me to do this? I think the photo quality should be about the same, and I know the build is better. How about start up time (this is one thing that does bug me about the Rebel). Are they any other reasons to do this?

Thanks for any input you have,

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I have a question ( or two) for you. Is this your camera? I have a Rebel, and although I have been thinking about a 20D, I can't swing it for awhile. So I was thinking, depending on how high this goes, I might be able to buy this and sell the Rebel (with kit lens) for the same amount giving me a even $ deal. Would there be any benifit for me to do this? I think the photo quality should be about the same, and I know the build is better. How about start up time (this is one thing that does bug me about the Rebel). Are they any other reasons to do this?

Sam

yeah it's shay's camera. startup time is quicker than the rebel, slower than the 20d (as are most cameras!).. the build is fantastic, and i've seen how shay treats his gear - top shelf, man, top shelf.... deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Yes, the 10D is my camera. The photo quality is the same between it and the 300D. The benefits the 10D has over the 300D is mainly performance related and capability/customization:

10D vs 300D
    Metal frame vs plastic
    metering and focus manually selectable vs auto only
    ISO 3200 vs 1600
    Kelvin WB control vs none
    brighter viewfinder vs pentamirror
    Better frame rate and buffer size than the 300D
    Flash compensation and PC sync terminal vs none
    N3/T3 remote socket vs E3 only
    1st curtain or 2nd curtain flash sync vs 1st curtain only
    More customization than the 300D

If you are looking for image quality improvments primarily, it's not worth the upgrade.
    Sam wrote:

Sam
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Yes, the 10D is my camera. The photo quality is the same between it and the 300D. The benefits the 10D has over the 300D is mainly performance related and capability/customization:

10D vs 300D
    Metal frame vs plastic
    metering and focus manually selectable vs auto only
    ISO 3200 vs 1600
    Kelvin WB control vs none
    brighter viewfinder vs pentamirror
    Better frame rate and buffer size than the 300D
    Flash compensation and PC sync terminal vs none
    N3/T3 remote socket vs E3 only
    1st curtain or 2nd curtain flash sync vs 1st curtain only
    More customization than the 300D

If you are looking for image quality improvments primarily, it's not worth the upgrade.
    Shay,

Thanks for your answer. I think the improvements would be worth it to me, as long as the price was atractive. THen I could hold off untill the 20D MK II is available. I have GREAT reluctance in bidding on items sight unseen, but feel comfortable with many here. You among them. This is the only item I have ever trid to bid on. Unfortunitly every time I submit a bid it keeps comming back and telling me I have been out bid, so all I'm doing is increasing the amount of the sale without ever getting credit for a valid bid, if even for 10 minutes.

If anything goes south on your Ebay sale contact me, I do have an interest.

Of course I might just wait until Andy has one for sale. :D

Sam